Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Monday, May 22nd, 2017 - 17:18:44

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Egged On Eagle
PostPosted: Friday, June 29th, 2012 - 03:15:16 
Animaniac

Favorite Character(s): Plucky,Hamton,SweetieDizzy etc
I realised long ago that when it comes to the character of Sweetie Pie, I'm in a rather rigid minority. I've always loved the character while most other people seem to hate her guts. Some have even declared her to be pure evil. It's true, she had a tendency to be down right brutal toward her enemies, but unlike Buster&Babs, I feel that Sweetie could get away with it because the writers did a better job of making her susceptible to being on the receiving end of physical punishment as well. Indeed, there were a couple of occasions where Sweetie got the ever living crap beat out of her. :o No, I don't think she's evil, she's just a survivor is all. ;) I gravitated toward Sweetie even as a child, for one simple reason, the writers drew heavily from Bob Clampett's original version of Tweety Bird when they were creating her. Those extremely early cartoons which starred a far more devious, smart aleck, zany and active Tweety Bird than the huge eyed, cutesy, catchphrase spewing irritation that most people know of today, were always very appealing to me. :mrgreen: And so, to see that Tweety's TTA student had inherited many of his forgotten(and might I add, entertaining :)) personality traits was a huge breath of fresh air. Even more awesome, is the fact that Sweetie still managed to be her own character. 8-)

"Egged On Eagle" is the first of the three shorts which comprised "How Sweetie It Is", one of my all time favorite TTA episodes. The plot is pretty interesting, a stork is trying to deliver "newborn" Sweetie to her designated family, only he's lazy and a tad out of shape. :roll: So he drops her in the first nest he sees, which happens to belong to a single male American bald eagle, who is also a tad out of shape. :lol: Sweetie's father is quite a character, he's legitimately bald(no feathers on top of his head) he's got a raspy voice, and despite his pudgy posterior he has an unwavering sense of duty towards being an american symbol. Pop Eagle immediately takes to caring for his new daughter. But Daddy-eagle unfortunatly has a similar problem to Sweetie's arch nemesis Furball, in that he has incredible amounts of bad luck. He takes it upon himself to teach young Sweetie the ways of the American bald eagle, only Sweetie usually does things in her own silly and unique way. When Eagle-pop tries to show her the "correct" way to do things, that's usually when the mayhem begins. :D Sweetie and her eagle father have a lovable chemistry, they play off of each other beautifully. :lol: It's just a shame that this was the only time this duo was depicted. With just a bit of creativity, they could've easily made a small recurring series of shorts invovling Sweetie and her pop's misadventures, alas, it just wasn't in the cards. :( I do like to think that this short depicts Sweetie's actual home and that that big goofy eagle really is her sole parental unit. It's just too hilarious a concept to simply let die. :D My family and I all watch "Egged On Eagle" every 4th of July, call us weird but the holiday just isn't complete unless we've viewed it at least once during that day.(The fireworks show at the end of this cartoon really puts you in the mood for the 4th) ;) Oh, and while I'm on the subject, have a happy 4th of July everyone! :)

"THAT'S MY POP!" :lol:

ImageImage

Last edited by Injun-Joe on Tuesday, January 26th, 2016 - 03:31:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Egged On Eagle
PostPosted: Saturday, June 30th, 2012 - 04:01:25 
Background

Favorite Character(s): Skippy Squirrel
I loved Sweetie! So glad she got her own episode once.

PostPosted: Monday, July 02nd, 2012 - 02:56:30 
Animaniac

Favorite Character(s): Plucky,Hamton,SweetieDizzy etc
It's just nice to know that I'm not the only one who appreciates this character. :mrgreen:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sunday, March 13th, 2016 - 12:24:07 
Toon

Favorite Character(s): Babs, Plucky
Thanks for defending Sweetie! I'm one of the few that likes her. In fact, one of the people to caller her evil was Framwinkle, the site's admin! I think her behavior stems from looking small and helpless. According to Sylvester, "The smaller and more helpless looking they seem the tougher and scrappier they turn out to be". Had they made this a recurring series featuring Sweetie and her dad people would like her more.