Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Sunday, April 30th, 2017 - 07:02:08

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:32:11 
Site Admin

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
For me, the number one character in the show is Babs. Seriously, it could have been "The Babs Show" and I would have been happy. As far as I'm concerned, she nearly is Tiny Toon Adventures, and it definitely wouldn't have been anywhere as entertaining without her. Although, I have to admit that Buster compliments her well, and I like the way the two interact. I think the two go well together, and together they're my top two favorite characters. I remember being quite hearbroken the first time I saw one of those viewer request episodes, (I can't remember the name of it right now,) in which Babs pretends to be Gladys Freem and requests nothing but Buster and Babs cartoons, because then Plucky comes in and inturrupts, ruining it. I was looking forward to a whole episode focused on just them.

Plucky is a good character, and I do like him. He's versitile, funny, and goes well with many of the other characters. But he's also such a jerk that I have a hard time feeling sorry for him when things blow up in his face. He has his moments when he plays the hero and does the right thing, but it's often only after he's done something terribly wrong and has to make up for it. I guess he's good in that he's flawed, which gives him depth. But I never really liked watching him unless he was interacting with other characters, because his ego just annoyed me.

Hampton is probably who I'm most like, because if I were a toon, I'd probably be boring like him. I really like the way he and Plucky go so well together, because he does play a good straightman to Plucky's shinanagans. I don't particularly enjoy watching him alone, though.

Shirley is pretty cool, but could have used more development. I like the way she doesn't take any crud from Plucky, and her mysticism is usually pretty funny.

I'm not sure if I like Fifi or Shirley better. Fifi didn't get a lot of character development, either, but I usually liked her aside from the monotonous chases. It also helps that she's kind of cute. And purple. I like purple. :)

Monty was ok as a villain, but not really a likable character for me. He played a predictable role of rich brat, and I usually liked to see him get what he deserved.

Elmyra was better villain, in my opinion, just because she was more wacky than Monty. Her stupidity was somewhat entertaining, and I liked that she was able to pose a problem for the other characters, even the usually infallable Buster and Babs.

I really wish they'd let Furball have a voice. I thought he could have been a good character if he was just able to speak and act more like a normal character, rather than living most of his life as nothing more than a stray cat. He was supposed to be a student at Acme Looniversity, too. Too often he got used in the episodes with a preachy moral, where they tried to make you feel sorry for him because he was less fortunate. It felt like a waste of a good cat character.

Calamity I could better understand not having a voice, because Wile E. Coyote didn't usually have one, either. Although there were exceptions, so it would have been nice to let him speak, too. I liked his inventions, though.

Beeper was another character that, despite his speed, didn't seem to go anywhere because he couldn't speak. All they used him for was as a target for Calamity.

Sneezer was cute, and I actually think they used him pretty well. Not one of my favorite characters, though.

I really didn't like Sweetie. I just found her to be annoying with few redeeming qualities, if any.

Aarnold was ok in small doses. Very small. There's only just so much you can do with that SNL bit.

Let's see, who have I missed? Oh, Dizzy! I liked him ok, but only with other characters, and even then only when the cartoon didn't focus on him. I don't think he made a very good villain.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:32:32 
Pencil Test

Favorite Character(s): Mary Melody
Best: Mary Melody (you know why, if not, read my fanfics :D )
Wors: Plucky (see above :D )

My FFN page: https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi
My FiM Fiction page: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/i_am_the_jam
My DeviantarArt page: http://iamthejam.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:33:00 
Sketch

There are these fanfics again mentioning the mysterious Mary Melodie... so much to read, so little time. Don't suppose I could get a hint, could I? Or at least which to start with? At any rate, Buster and Babs were certainly good. Often times they were the glue that held the show together, but I think, rather than selecting specific characters, my favorites would be when all of them were together. Yes, Calamity and Lil' Beeper made a good duo in expanding on the old Coyote Road Runner thing, and Fifi played a good role following in Pepe Le Pew's footsteps, but it was the regular moments when they were all together for something or just hanging around that I enjoyed them the most. That's when they could break from their normal roles and develop a bit.

I didn't think any of them were bad, though Monty's constant shouting could get a bit grating at times. He'd shut up sooner or later though, usually thanks to someone else's intervention.

Gogo was hilarious in the scenes he popped up in. Random cameos and just plain funny lines. He was a great expansion of the dodo from the old Porky Pig short.

Bottom line, I can't think of anyone I particularly disliked off hand (though it has been a while since I've seen many of the episodes).

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:33:29 
Site Admin

Gogo was pretty cool. I'm ashamed that I missed him. He definitely added a nice amount of chaos to the show, although I found Wackyland to be a bit annoying.

Some more characters that I didn't like, though, were the Flea Family. Their first episode was ok, because it was mostly a rip off of An American Tale, and it had Buster and Babs in it. But making an episode with only them in it? Yuck. That was just wrong.

Not as wrong as The Roaches, however. They hold my top spot for least favorite Tiny Toons characters. I mean, really! Roaches? Roaches are not cute. Why did they ever think people would want to watch roaches scurry around in a cartoon, aside from the occasional 'turing on the light in a public restroom' gag? I didn't even like their music, either. They were just disturbing.

Bookworm. What can you say about Bookworm? He was there.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:33:42 
Pencil Test

Favorite Character(s): Mary Melody
They were written in the following order:

Mary
The Fourteen
Mary's Quest: Only a Scar
Human Hyjinx
Jacob Marley's Daughter

There is one more, "Respira" but that's an aside to "Mary", the sniper scene from Rhubella's POV. Mary is in it, but very briefly.

My FFN page: https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi
My FiM Fiction page: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/i_am_the_jam
My DeviantarArt page: http://iamthejam.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:34:07 
Inked Cell

Oh yeah. It was all about Babs. although she could get annoying the way she could pick on people - but most of the time that was just her comedy without conscience.

Plucky was great! He was by far the best actor of the bunch (don't get me wrong, Babs' impressions were great, but look at the Halloween special: Plucky rocked!). Plucky's problem was he suffered from Toon duck syndrome. think about it. Every toon duck (that is a star instead of supporting) suffer from an ego & occasional temper. Donald. Daffy. Darkwing... I think it's genetic!

Buster... eh, take him or leave him. I honestly don't think he deserved all the props he got as the lead.

Hampton was great supporting. Just every time he soloed it was boring.

Oh... & I hated those roaches & fleas & other "Very special episode"-like shorts too.

Furball did talk in the Star Trek parody though.

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:34:36 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:

Yeah, I remember. But from what I've been told that's because that was one of the first episodes, and they were still working on his character, so they weren't sure yet what they were going to do with him.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:34:51 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
pupspals wrote:

Yeah, I remember. But from what I've been told that's because that was one of the first episodes, and they were still working on his character, so they weren't sure yet what they were going to do with him.

Pluto talked too in the old B&W mickey shorts...

I like to think these are actors who got stuck with bad gigs...

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:37:44 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
I like to think these are actors who got stuck with bad gigs...

Yeah, on his off days, Furball likes to pop down to the local theater and act out Shakespeare. ;) And do I recall correctly that Bookworm once sang opera? I think it was the one where Hampton's dead frog keeps singing and gets him in trouble. I'm pretty sure it looked like Bookworm, but worms all look alike to me.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:38:02 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
but worms all look alike to me.

especially when productions reuse model sheets to save time & $ ;)

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:38:44 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
Framwinkle wrote:
but worms all look alike to me.

especially when productions reuse model sheets to save time & $ ;)

What? No! That never happens!

See? They're completely different than the real characters! ;)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:38:58 
Comedy Beat

Favorite Character(s): Babs, Calamity, Mary Melody
Babs is my fave character from the Main Ones; Buster would be a close second.

For the secondary characters, Calamity and Furrball are my faves, followed by Mary Melody and Dizzy.

Cal was as funny as his mentor, plus it was a curious detail that his inventions never worked when he was trying to catch Beeper, but always did it when doing it for anything but hunting (shrink rays, hovercars to travel inside Plucky's mind and so).

Furrball was a lot like Charlie Chaplin; a hopeless tramp, but still, he got some small victories here and there.

Mary had very little screen time but she always got good one-liners (The Box Look is In!) and, in fanfics, she is one of the best for character development since you can write her almost as if she was an Original Character.

And Dizzy, well... he was hilarious, crazy, and, curiously, I can mimic his Spanish-dubbed voice just perfectly.

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:39:28 
Script

Favorite Character(s): Gogo Dodo
My favorite has always been GoGo DoDo! Does that surprise anyone?

Aside from him I liked Buster and Babs (When paired. I was never big on their solo adventures. It was like watching Abbott without Costello); Plucky because he's such an ego mainiac; and Fowl Mouth because, all language aside, I always felt like he was a genuinely nice guy who could never catch a break.

Characters I didn't like? Little Drooly for one. I only saw that kid in one cartoon and the whole time I kept wanting to wipe his mouth (he was a boy, right? It's been a while since I saw that one).

Also, Elmyra. She annoyed the heck out of me. The only TTA ep I saw that I liked her in was the PROM episode, where they toned down her looney and made her more emotional. I could deal with that representation of her. Heck, I kinda' liked that representation of her, but as for the rest of the time, I just kept praying a 'THE END' boulder would smash her out of sight.

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:40:03 
Site Admin

Bubbles' Big Brother wrote:
Characters I didn't like? Little Drooly for one. I only saw that kid in one cartoon and the whole time I kept wanting to wipe his mouth (he was a boy, right? It's been a while since I saw that one).

Yeah, I think his name was Drooley Davey. That wasn't one of my favorite cartoons, but it was ok.

Quote:
Also, Elmyra. She annoyed the heck out of me. The only TTA ep I saw that I liked her in was the PROM episode, where they toned down her looney and made her more emotional. I could deal with that representation of her. Heck, I kinda' liked that representation of her, but as for the rest of the time, I just kept praying a 'THE END' boulder would smash her out of sight.

The prom was one of her better moments, I agree. The rest of the time she was ok in small doses, but unfortunately I think they tended to over use her. I'm guessing someone on the staff liked her so she kept getting written in more than she really deserved. I've even heard that some of the episodes with her entire family in them were meant as pilot episodes for a new show that would focus on Elmyra and her family. The thought just scares me. Those were some of my least favorite episodes because they were so boring.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:40:18 
Sketch

I'm glad the Elmyra spin-off never went through. While she does drive me nuts a bit as a character, I can see why they would use her a fair bit. Of the Big 3 villains (at least the ones shown according to the first episode) Monty, Dizzy, and Elmyra, she is the only one they couldn't rapidly best (if at all).

I also think she gets a bit of a bum wrap, portrayed as being remarkably dim (not sure if that's the thing in the fandom, but it's the general perception I've seen). She's hatched a few clever plans and is competent enough to make deals and all (as I recall she trapped someone for a cash deal with someone once, though I can't remember who... I just remember her making a trade with some adult (why do I want to say Nixon?)), so it seems wrong to call her dim. Immature yes. Childish, by all means. Dim, dumb, incompetent? By no means.

She is my least favorite villain, but I think they could have developed her more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next