Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Monday, May 22nd, 2017 - 09:25:37

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting set up
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:49:41 
Site Admin

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
Just so people know, I've banned bots from search engines from everything except the TTA and A! forums, so you shouldn't have to worry about them reading and logging things posted there. Hopefully the bots will pick up the fandom related stuff, though, and bring in more fans.

And finally, is anyone here interested in creating some ranks for post counts, or for something else? I thought about it when I set things up, but couldn't come up with anything interesting, and wasn't sure it would be a good idea anyway, since it might just inspire a lot of little posts meant to increase a person's count.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Getting set up
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:50:54 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
And finally, is anyone here interested in creating some ranks for post counts, or for something else? I thought about it when I set things up, but couldn't come up with anything interesting, and wasn't sure it would be a good idea anyway, since it might just inspire a lot of little posts meant to increase a person's count.

I'm up for that! if we all put our heads together we might be able to come up with something cool. of course if you get a bunch of little posts or something you could go the angle of CnDonline & have the rankings changed to "black sheep" or "tilt" or something so they get the point...

::shrug:: anyone else got an idea??

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:51:25 
Site Admin

Originally, I was thinking something like starting people out as a sketch, then a story board, then pencil test, then a toon. But Those were all I could come up with, and it didn't seem like enough.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:51:37 
Sketch

Interesting idea with that path Fram. Since we have both a TTA and an A! presence here whatever we come up with should likely be show neutral (as your suggestion is). Since we have someone here who's in on the whole development process (Pups), perhaps we could flesh out your list with a few more steps in the process. I guess it would also depend if we wanted to take it from the toon side of things or the animator's side of things (or something else entirely).

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:52:01 
Inked Cell

hmmm... well considering how many millions of steps there are to take an animation that shouldn't be too hard.

for the most part in simplified form (leaving out the various approval processes, computer rendering, etc):
idea
sketch
character design
- (sub of design) character turn arounds
- (sub of design) character lip assignments
script
storyboard
background design
prop design
SPC design (Special Prop or Character - AKA if wearing a different outfit for Christmas, etc)
voice recording
animatic
layout
inbetweens (actual animation)
pencil test (not really used anymore)
cleanup
Color
Camera (or composite in computer if non cell animation)
retakes
editorial
sound design
music
audio mix session
Layback
Full cartoon.

for our purposes maybe... sketch/idea, rough, line art, turn around, lip assigned, storyboard, voice, animatic, layout, inbetween, pencil test, cleanup, Color, sound, TOON! or something. or simpler: sketch, line art, storyboard, voice, animatic, animation, color, sound, toon.

Of course in TTA days they didn't have animatics, but since that's one of the things I do for a living.... I'm biased.
::shrug:: I'm too close to the material.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:52:37 
Sketch

I knew you'd be the right one to ask, and thanks for the detailed response. I've always wondered what the full process was for this sort of thing. Honestly I never even knew if the actors voiced to the animation or if it was drawn to match their lines (now I know). I would suggest going with the simpler list of the two and perhaps changing them to be more action or process oriented (adding sound, adding color, etc).

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:54:48 
Inked Cell

t.s. wrote:
I knew you'd be the right one to ask, and thanks for the detailed response. I've always wondered what the full process was for this sort of thing. Honestly I never even knew if the actors voiced to the animation or if it was drawn to match their lines (now I know). I would suggest going with the simpler list of the two and perhaps changing them to be more action or process oriented (adding sound, adding color, etc).

actors can voice to animation (called ADR) but that's only done as a last resort. It's very hard to match lip sync in post. It's easier (& usually cheaper) to just animate directly from the voices at the front. Also that allows the animators to have the character act according to the voice.

Sometimes the voice is recorded prior to the storyboard so the actions reflect more of how the voice was acted. sometimes the storyboard is done first & the actors have to follow what the picture says. It varies by show.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:55:27 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
hmmm... well considering how many millions of steps there are to take an animation that shouldn't be too hard.

for the most part in simplified form (leaving out the various approval processes, computer rendering, etc):
idea
sketch
character design
- (sub of design) character turn arounds
- (sub of design) character lip assignments
script
storyboard
background design
prop design
SPC design (Special Prop or Character - AKA if wearing a different outfit for Christmas, etc)
voice recording
animatic
layout
inbetweens (actual animation)
pencil test (not really used anymore)
cleanup
Color
Camera (or composite in computer if non cell animation)
retakes
editorial
sound design
music
audio mix session
Layback
Full cartoon.

for our purposes maybe... sketch/idea, rough, line art, turn around, lip assigned, storyboard, voice, animatic, layout, inbetween, pencil test, cleanup, Color, sound, TOON! or something. or simpler: sketch, line art, storyboard, voice, animatic, animation, color, sound, toon.

Of course in TTA days they didn't have animatics, but since that's one of the things I do for a living.... I'm biased.
::shrug:: I'm too close to the material.

Hmm. That is a lot of steps. Some of them I don't understand, which makes me hesitant to use them. Others just seem to need a better way to describe them. For instance, take 'camera'. Is that the real name of that step? It's certainly an important step, but it just doesn't sound good as a rank for someone. I guess I'm thinking of the people here as is they were a cartoon in the making, and what they would be called at the various stages, so we generally need nowns used to describe the cartoon at the different stages of production. When a cartoon is at the pencil test stage, it's called a pencil test, right? What would it be called when it's at the stage of being photographed? If there's no specific name for it, then maybe the steps would just go from colored cell to animation, implying the photography step?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:55:46 
Inked Cell

that sounds good to me. no one really refers to the drawing itself just the stages & who's doing what job. Plus we don't want it too complicated since I doubt everyone who eventually will post here will be an animation expert so it'll probably go over their head & I doubt everyone will want to answer what's a ____ over & over.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:56:44 
Sketch

Favorite Character(s): Buster and Babs
Hey Fram!
I made this and thought you can use this.

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:57:28 
Sketch

Hey, that's pretty neat C.H.

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:57:50 
Site Admin

Yeah, I like them! But do you mind if I tweak them a bit? I have some ideas for them.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:58:04 
Sketch

Favorite Character(s): Buster and Babs
Thanks.
Tweak away, I don't mind.

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:58:41 
Site Admin

Ok, how's this for rankings? I rearranged them a bit so they fit better with the process given in the 'Animaniacs' episode, and took out things that I didn't think worked, or I had no idea what they were.

Quote:
0 - idea
10 - comedy beat
100 - script
500 - sketch
1K - storyboard
2K - layout
3K - background
4K - voice recording
5K - pencil test
6K - inked cell
7K - colored cell
8K - sound effect
9K - musical score
10K - toon

The one problem I see with this is that it takes 10K posts to reach the top, which is quite a lot of posts. I don't even have that many at the Cafe and I've been there for years. So I'd be open to a lower ceiling. I'm just not sure where to set it. Also, maybe after someone reaches the top and then achieves the next level they could then request a special personalized rank?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 14:59:06 
Site Admin

Alternatively, I guess we could use these levels for the rankings.

Quote:

This would again take most people years to acheive.

Quote:

This one would be much more managable, and then at 3k we could do a custom rank.

Image Image Image