Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Monday, May 22nd, 2017 - 09:29:02

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: anyone read "Family"?
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:51:58 
Inked Cell

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or the written area, but since I didn't write this, I put it here.

Has anyone read the epic A! fanfic (with tons of TTA crossover) called Family by The Middle Warner Sibling on fanfiction.net? I am addicted to it! & a quick look at deviant art shows fan art of this fan fic. It's even spun off another fanfic called Friends.

My only gripe is that it aged down the tiny toons to be Wakko's age, but the stories are so good I don't care anymore!

It's the Warner's lives from shortly after Dot's born to (I assume) through current day. Right now it's around half way through their time taping animaniacs. It takes the angle that toons are real & live in the real world & this is their story of how they became actors & learn toon skills, etc. It is INCREDIBLY well researched in cartoon history & the terminology the author came up to describe toon skills, etc with fits so well I found myself using it to describe what I was working on in Wubbzy.

Like I said, lots of tiny toon crossover (mostly with Buster, Plucky & Max though), some Disney (Darkwing plays a huge role at one point), some brief HB toons, even smokey the bear at one point in the spinoff.

It's very well written & now that the author has gained proof readers before a posting almost all the early typos are gone. & even before the proof reading it doesn't have those grammatical errors that plague so many ff works. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's a huge read but WELL worth it!

Anybody???

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:52:25 
Site Admin

I've never heard of it. Until I started reading J.A.M.'s fic, "Mary" just in the last week, I hadn't read any fanfic of any kind in many years. But if it's as good as you say, then I'm definitely going to check it out.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:52:39 
Site Admin

Holy cow! 619,657 words! That is long.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3703685/1/Family

I don't know when I'll get to it, but maybe I should start printing now. ;)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:52:55 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
Holy cow! 619,657 words! That is long.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3703685/1/Family

I don't know when I'll get to it, but maybe I should start printing now. ;)

as I said before... "HUGE" & "epic". & that's just Family not the sequel Friends! (PS I didn't include the link 'cause I didn't know what the rules for that were on this board).

But once you get into it (or at least when I got into it) the time flies. I don't know how many times I've started reading it when I got home from work & the next thing I know it's past midnight (granted I'm not the speediest reader but it held my attention!).

the author updates pretty regularly all things considered! I think it's taken me about a year to get this far... I never read Gadget in Chains but it's probably like that - huge but totally worth it.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wednesday, July 01st, 2009 - 23:24:07 
Site Admin

I've read the first chapter, and part of the second now. It's really good! I think Yakko is written a little too smart for a 7 year old, but I forgive that because he's been taking care of his sibs for so long already, so I figure that gives him some experience that a normal 7 year old wouldn't have.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Monday, July 06th, 2009 - 09:33:58 
Site Admin

I've read several chapters now, and I'm still very impressed with this story. I think Yakko is a little too intelligent for an eight year old, but it's not too bad. He does have a lot of experience taking care of his sibs, and dealing with his parents, but he doesn't seem irrational enough for a kid that age. They don't always think that clearly, and they tend to obsess over silly fears. (At least I did.) Yakko seems to be written a little more like an inexperienced adult. I think that's an error that I've seen in a lot of stories, though, since I think it can be hard to write a character in a non-rational way.

(Edit: Heh, I see I talked a little about this in my last post, too.)

I'm having a little trouble hearing their voices in my head when I read, mostly I think because I'm trying to imagine them sounding even younger than they were on the show, and I can't quite get it, especially for Dot. The characterizations seem pretty good, though.

Dot is sure an easy baby to take car of. She hardly fusses, and only rarely needs to eat of have her diaper changed. I shudder to think what a messy diaper would be like for a furry toon. You'd almost have to give them a mini bath each time you changed them to clean it all out of the fur.

I'm also liking the way they're dealing with toon physics and the way Yakko has to learn to use his hammerspace, instead of it just comming naturally. I don't think being a toon, a really good toon, should come easy.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Monday, July 06th, 2009 - 11:05:42 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
I'm having a little trouble hearing their voices in my head when I read, mostly I think because I'm trying to imagine them sounding even younger than they were on the show, and I can't quite get it, especially for Dot. The characterizations seem pretty good, though.

Yeah... it gets easier once they're on the show. the story really takes off then! Although I'll admit to having trouble hearing Bugs' voice in my head once he gets in it. Too responsible??? But then someone needs to take that role so I guess it might as well be him.

My favorite parts are the behind the scenes of their toon "culture" & learning the tricks of the trade. but then again... I'm biased in that area...

As for the messy diaper... TMI ;) Maybe that's why we don't hear too much about Wakko's diaper years. I can imaging that being a problem!

Glad you're liking it!!

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Saturday, July 11th, 2009 - 22:44:43 
Site Admin

I'm just starting chapter 13 now. It's still a good read. I can't wait until they meet some other toons, though. I'm curious to see how they'll interact.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, July 12th, 2009 - 13:16:07 
Site Admin

Golly! I've finally managed to download the whole story now and put it all in a single file. (I can probably give a copy to anyone who wants it.) It comes out to 1,191 pages! That's longer than any of the Harry Potter stories. I wonder how much longer he's planning to make the story?

Huh. I just tried shortening it a bit by reducing the font size from 12 to 10 and it didn't change the number of pages. There's something wrong with that. Then I went back to 12, and it reduced the pages to only 900 something. Going back to 10 made it 1191 again. Weird. Maybe it's an Open Office thing. I sure miss MS Word.

Also, I decided to move this thread to the Written Works section, because even though it's not a story written by anyone here, it's still a written work so it just seems to make sense to me.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, July 12th, 2009 - 13:29:54 
Inked Cell

You're reading faster than I was. You'll catch up to me in no time!
You're almost at the point they start acting on animaniacs & once you get there you get interactions with Looney Tunes & Tiny Tunes. That's when the story takes off!

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Monday, July 13th, 2009 - 23:49:59 
Site Admin

Oh dear! I just got to the point where Wakko meets Buster, Plucky and Monty, who all happen to be smoking. I hope the Tiny Toon characters aren't savaged too badly in this story. I did kind of like how the author made fun of Darkwing, though. (Can you tell the author doesn't really like Disney toons?) ;) Doing his crimefighting thing outside of his show really is a bit ridiculous, and he does need a hobby. I've liked the interactions with other characters so far, though. Bugs is about how I think he should be, and Wakko returning Sam's property was a pretty good scene.

One thing that's been bugging me, though, is how the Warner's personalities seemed to suddenly change once they got on the Warner Brother's lot. They went from humble, furitive street urchins to the brash Warners we know and love like someone had flipped on a switch. It's suddenly easier to think of them in their own voices now, because the dialogue is more their style, but the transition seemed a bit rough to me, and I'm still having trouble not thinking of Dot as the tiny little girl she's been portrayed as up until now.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 - 11:14:07 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
Oh dear! I just got to the point where Wakko meets Buster, Plucky and Monty, who all happen to be smoking. I hope the Tiny Toon characters aren't savaged too badly in this story

that's the only time they're smoking (at least so far as written). the rest of their hijinks are more prank oriented. I'll warn you those boys have sailor mouths though! Of course... the more I get to know Charlie Adler, the more I don't think that's so out of character for Buster which has made it easier for me... (which reminds me of something... I'll make a post on the TTA board about it)

If anything, there's one scene coming up in a few chapters when there's a break from a punishment for a prank war that made me think twice about Yakko! I think the author forgot his age temporarily there!!!

Framwinkle wrote:
One thing that's been bugging me, though, is how the Warner's personalities seemed to suddenly change once they got on the Warner Brother's lot. They went from humble, furitive street urchins to the brash Warners we know and love like someone had flipped on a switch. It's suddenly easier to think of them in their own voices now, because the dialogue is more their style, but the transition seemed a bit rough to me, and I'm still having trouble not thinking of Dot as the tiny little girl she's been portrayed as up until now.

Yeah, I noticed that too... but considering the rest of the story I've forgiven it. Plus I can see how that's easy to do once they're in their "home" environment that we're used to seeing them in. But yeah... there's a switch.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 - 11:04:13 
Site Admin

I'm to the point where Wakko gets sick now. That was a surprise. I'm not sure I like it, since as a toon he's supposed to be able to eat anything, so I'm curious how the author is going to handle that. It feels to me like this might be something the author had to go through at one point, so they're injecting it into the story for their own sake, but I don't know. It's certainly been emotional, though, and I've been impressed with the writing. They seem to know how and where to cut the scenes so they get in the important stuff, and not waste time with trivial and mundane things like I'd be prone to do.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 - 11:07:08 
Site Admin

Oh, and I'm not sure I buy this idea that the Tiny Toon characters are just 10 years old. Isn't it supposed to be the beginning of 1993 when the Warners meet them? That would make them just 7 when they started Tiny Toons, and I just can't see that working out. I could believe them being about 10 when they started the show, but that would make them about 13 when they met the Warners in this story.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 - 14:01:49 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
Oh, and I'm not sure I buy this idea that the Tiny Toon characters are just 10 years old. Isn't it supposed to be the beginning of 1993 when the Warners meet them? That would make them just 7 when they started Tiny Toons, and I just can't see that working out. I could believe them being about 10 when they started the show, but that would make them about 13 when they met the Warners in this story.

That was my main problem. I always pictured the tiny toons around Yakko's age if not a little older. I honestly think the author just needed someone for Wakko to hang out with! drove me nuts for a looooong time... but now I just go with it in this universe.

as for Wakko, that line always stuck out to me as odd in the show. so pointing it out worked for me. Plus in this universe, toons age, etc so it only seems to make sense (to me anyway) that something like this is possible. My only thing is it seems like the author is describing his symptoms more like diabetes than necessarily hypoglycemia, but I only know diabetic people so who am I to talk? It's only come up once or twice once this part is done.

=================
Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next