Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Friday, July 21st, 2017 - 10:34:48

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A ditch in Time
PostPosted: Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 - 11:38:19 
Sketch

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
SPOILERS

Summary:
(Time: Sunday) Plucky, being lazy and waiting to the last minute to do his homework (Same here) comes up on a sollution and makes a time machine to go pack to the past to do his homework. Paradox stuff kicks in and his future self lands in the middle of his living room with a time machine. Future plucky and present plucky go back to friday night to do the homework. Present plucky tricks future plucky into doing the homework and ditches him in the past. Present plucky goes back to the present (monday morning) to show buster and babs what he's built. He shows the time machine, go back to the past and something goes wrong. Plucky gets dropped off in the Stone age and buster and babs land in the middle ages with no fuel.
(bla bla bla, just getting to the main point) In the end the 3 get back to Sunday, in the afternoon. Future plucky leaves back to the point he orginally left. Plucky gets a lecture from babs about study and probabbly ends screwing his homework up again.

Something wasn't right. Plucky picked buster and babs on monday morning and arrive back on sunday afternoon. Won't this cause a paradox? The 2 rabbits will find themselves in their own burrows.. 2 buster and 2 babs? I smell mischief and a sequel here.

Maybe i'm not getting something here...
:?

Post subject: Re: A ditch in Time
PostPosted: Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 - 14:13:14 
Site Admin

It's actually much, much worse than that. :) It's going to take me a while to straighten it all out and write up a proper chronology, though.

This is one of my favorite episodes, though. I like the story and the characterizations. Babs has some great lines, too.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 - 16:42:36 
Inked Cell

Favorite Character(s): Mary Melody
"Naked" - Babs

My YouTube Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/thejamakanumbuhi
My FFN page: https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi
My FiM Fiction page: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/i_am_the_jam
My DeviantarArt page: http://iamthejam.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 - 23:39:06 
Site Admin

Whew! It's done!

As I understand it, Plucky was trying to do his homework Sunday night, but fell asleep and woke up Monday morning when it was too late to finish it. He then skipped a week of school to build the time machine, (becoming 'future Plucky') and traveled back to the beginning of the week to Monday morning to pick up 'present Plucky'. They then both went back to Friday night so 'present Plucky' could do the homework.

This is a bit of a paradox, because they should have met a 3rd Plucky, (past Plucky) on Friday night, but he wasn't there. Maybe he wasn't home? Or maybe they just didn't want to complicate the story too much. ;) It's probably a bit much to believe that 'past Plucky' would have actually been home to do his homework on Friday night anyway, but if he would have come home then he would have found 'future Plucky' there.

So back to the chronology. The two Pluckys are at Friday, and 'present Plucky' steals the time machine and goes back to Monday morning to show Buster and Babs. They all then go back in time, Plucky gets lost, and Buster and Babs end up in medieval times. Babs rescues herself and Buster from the dragon, and then they go in search of Plucky. How they manage to find Plucky is a mystery, but it's a cartoon, so I just ignore it. ;) 'Present Plucky' steals the time machine again, stranding Buster and Babs in prehistoric times, and goes back to the present bringing the prehistoric Dizzy with him.

I'm not certain when 'present Plucky' arrives this time. I think he ends up in his pond, or just a pond, which waterlogs the time machine, and as far as I can tell he doesn't leave the area until the machine is working again, so he doesn't interact with anyone that we know of. Dizzy interacts with Elmyra, but there's nothing to indicate a time for when this happens, so there's no paradox created in this instance.

'Present Plucky' and prehistoric Dizzy travel back to prehistoric times where Buster and Babs have saved Acme Acres. Then Buster, Babs and Plucky all go back home to sometime Sunday, not sure exactly what time Sunday, but it doesn't matter. They find 'future Plucky' there, but not 'past Plucky'.

'Future Plucky' then takes the time machine back and disappears, presumably back to his present, which is later in the week, but we don't know that for sure. Knowing Plucky, with access to a time machine he may have gone sometime else to try and become famous and wealthy, the same way 'present Plucky' tried to do.

So, at the end of the episode, 'future Plucky' is gone, 'past Plucky' is nowhere to be seen but must still be around somewhere, and 'present Plucky' is left to do his homework again. This means there are still two Pluckys, and there should also be two sets of Buster and Babs until Monday morning.

Come Monday morning, 'past Plucky' would become 'present Plucky', and 'present Plucky' would become 'future Plucky' who would then spend the next week building the time machine so he could go back to Monday morning to start the process over again. Amazingly, this whole thing works out fairly well as long as certain things happen.

Here's how I see it working out. We'll follow Plucky from his perspective. First, starting Friday after school, Plucky goes to Hampton's house for a weekend-long slumber party with Buster, Babs, and other students from Acme Loo. The party doesn't end until late Sunday afternoon. Plucky then goes home and remembers that he hasn't finished his homework. He starts on it, but falls asleep until Monday morning. His future self shows up, takes him back to Friday, and he steals the time machine. He goes through the whole storyline of the episode, finally ending up back at Sunday sometime before he got home from Hampton's party. His future self takes the time machine back leaving Plucky to do his homework.

Plucky realizes that he has an extra day to live over, though, and doesn't want to waste it doing homework, so he goes to an all night video arcade where he plays video games until late Monday morning. After all, he figures he's learned his lesson and that his other self will do the homework when he comes home from Hampton's party. He comes home from the arcade Monday morning, finds no one there and his homework still not done, and realizes he's now late for school as well, so he figures if he can do it once, he can do it again and spends the rest of the week building his time machine which he finishes the following Saturday.

He goes back in time to Monday, takes his past self back to the previous Friday thinking he'll trick him into doing the homework for him. He figures it'll be easy to trick him, since he knows that his past self will try to steal the time machine and thinks he can stop him, but he forgets how quick he can be and looses the machine again. He now has nothing to do but sit and wait for himself to get back on Sunday, so he plays his Nintendo until then, only looking like he'd been doing the homework just before his past self was scheduled to arrive. Once his past self is back, he grabs the time machine and heads back to his present, which is next Saturday.

Here's a graphical representation of the timeline. The blue lines indicate normal time, red are periods of time travel. All the episode stuff in pre-historic times has been pushed out of the left side to simplify things. Purple dots are nodes when time travel occurs.

So, as you can see, from Friday afternoon until Monday morning, two Plucky's exist, and for a brief time both on Friday afternoon and then again on Sunday, three Plucky's exist. It's a wonder the universe didn't explode. ;)

As for Buster and Babs, they're much simpler. Two sets do exist from Sunday until Monday morning, but they were probably smart enough not to interact with their past selves. They probably showed up at school just after their past selves left with Plucky and continued their school day as normal so no one would know what had happened. It probably went down something like this.

"Hey Babs? It's Sunday, right?" Buster asked.

"Looks like it." Babs replied. "So?"

"So right now we're still at Hampton's party," Buster explained. "We won't get back home for another couple hours."

"Hey!" shouted Babs. "That's right! There's two of each of us in Acme Acres right now! We should go say hi!"

"No!" Buster exclaimed. "That could disrupt the timeline! Who knows what could happen? The whole universe might short out, or something!"

"Hmm..." Babs thought. "So we can't let anyone see us, and no one would come looking for us if we disappeared for a while..." A devilish look spread accross Babs face, and she put on her sultry voice. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Buster?"

Buster was taken aback by Babs' sudden change. "Err... Umm..."

Babs continued, using her finger to caress Buster's chin. "Maybe we should go somewhere quiet, you know? So we can be... alone..."

Buster, now dripping sweat, thought fast. "...And play video games until our thumbs hurt and our brains go numb?"

"Actually," Babs replied, now returning to her normal voice. "I was thinking Doogie Howser marathon."

"Well, I guess that's mind numbing enough." Buster groaned.

"Oh come on!" Babs retorted. "He's cute!"

;)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 - 23:44:38 
Site Admin

The J.A.M. wrote:
"Naked" - Babs

And yes, this episode does have one of my all time favorite quotes. But I think it needs Buster's question included before it's really funny.

http://www.houndbite.com/?houndbite=13143

I also like The Big Book of Heavy Handed Morals for Kids that Babs reads out of at the end. This cartoon was one of the better ones from the first season, as far as I'm concerned.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wednesday, November 18th, 2009 - 15:35:04 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
'Present Plucky' steals the time machine again, stranding Buster and Babs in prehistoric times, and goes back to the present bringing the prehistoric Dizzy with him.

I'm not certain when 'present Plucky' arrives this time. I think he ends up in his pond, or just a pond, which waterlogs the time machine, and as far as I can tell he doesn't leave the area until the machine is working again, so he doesn't interact with anyone that we know of. Dizzy interacts with Elmyra, but there's nothing to indicate a time for when this happens, so there's no paradox created in this instance.

no paradox that we know of...

it's all so simple! The prehistoric Dizzy distracted Elmyra from school enough that she got kicked out of Acme Loo for not doing any work & was sent to Chuck Norris Grammar school instead. So it's Plucky's fault for Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain!!!!!!

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thursday, November 19th, 2009 - 16:11:32 
Sketch

Interesting, seems more complicated than I thought.
If your graph is correct then plucky's trip was actually overall worthless cause by the next week, he'll have to come up an explanation why he skipped a whole week of school to the Bugs.

PostPosted: Thursday, November 19th, 2009 - 18:50:35 
Musical Score

Favorite Character(s): check my sig banners :-3
Cool graph and info there Pupspals :)

I also Collect, Buy, Sell, Trade, Appraise, the Pokemon aka Pocket Monsters Trading Card Game :D
3DS Friendcode : 0731-4800-6817

PostPosted: Thursday, November 19th, 2009 - 20:53:05 
Site Admin

Blade wrote:
Interesting, seems more complicated than I thought.
If your graph is correct then plucky's trip was actually overall worthless cause by the next week, he'll have to come up an explanation why he skipped a whole week of school to the Bugs.

You're right, except that we don't actually know what the 'future Plucky' did after getting his time machine back. I simply chose to display the simplest option that would preserve the timeline, but he could have done all sorts of stupid paradoxical things at that point. After all, Plucky with a time machine spells trouble. We'll just never know for sure what happened. It's even possible that he decided to go back again and repeat that week of school so he wouldn't get in trouble. Yeah, right. ;)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thursday, November 19th, 2009 - 20:55:17 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
Framwinkle wrote:
'Present Plucky' steals the time machine again, stranding Buster and Babs in prehistoric times, and goes back to the present bringing the prehistoric Dizzy with him.

it's all so simple! The prehistoric Dizzy distracted Elmyra from school enough that she got kicked out of Acme Loo for not doing any work & was sent to Chuck Norris Grammar school instead. So it's Plucky's fault for Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain!!!!!!

She was at a grammar school in that series? It fits her better, that's for sure. But does that mean they regressed her age from teen to kid? Even if she were in remedial classes, if she were a teen she'd still at least go to a jr. high, I would imagine.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Friday, November 20th, 2009 - 12:54:00 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
pupspals wrote:
Framwinkle wrote:

She was at a grammar school in that series? It fits her better, that's for sure. But does that mean they regressed her age from teen to kid? Even if she were in remedial classes, if she were a teen she'd still at least go to a jr. high, I would imagine.

yes, yes, yes, Yes, YES!!!

This one point has annoyed me for YEARS!!!!!!

so unless you take some time travel thing into account (which considering this episode & Pinky & the Brain comics it's not totally out of the realm of possibility)... & take into account the world leaders shown on the shows which place them at a specific time in history....

The chronological story order goes PE&B, TTA, A!, P&B. But... PE&B follows P&B since they had to run away from Acme Labs (although technically they never referenced anything exactly from the shows) & I don't think the technology shown in PE&B would be around in the '80's (if it's prior to TTA) so... there's a time loop?!?! AHHHH!!!!!

But then maybe that's why Furball & other tiny toons were never shown in PE&B. & Elmyra had to exist prior to Buster & Babs opening pandora's box of villians for her to be in there right????

But then you have those episodes of TTA where you saw Elmyra's family (& the origins of Mr Skullhead) & where do those show up in the timeline since Acme Loo wasn't in there either. I want to say she was in another school there too but it's been too long since I've seen those two episodes...

AHHH!!! (head explodes)

When I first brought this fact up on a college BBs I got the reply "that's the geekiest thing I've ever heard a girl say. Rock on! rock on!" I still have that email...

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Friday, November 20th, 2009 - 19:41:37 
Site Admin

Hooray for geekiness! :) Honestly, I've never seen an episode of PE&tB, so I can't say anything about its possible timeline. It sounds pretty messed up, though. But Pinky and the Brain have time traveled before, so anything's possible.

I don't know when the Elmyra episodes of TTA were supposed to take place. I remember there was one where her grandmother supposedly died, (boring as snot aside from her geeky brother,) and then another where Elmyra gets kidnapped, (which was even worse.) But I don't remember anything about school in those episodes, except maybe her teacher being notified about her grandmother's death. It's been too long since I've watched them, though.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Friday, November 20th, 2009 - 20:32:40 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
But I don't remember anything about school in those episodes, except maybe her teacher being notified about her grandmother's death.

That's what I was thinking of. Because if I recall (but then the last time I saw it I was a kid & less likely to know a random looney tune like the chuck jones teacher from the short about the kid who daydreams or something like that. I'm pretty sure that the teacher was a human & not a looney tune & the students were all human - which would imply that it wasn't acme loo.

I do have the Grandma's dead cartoon somewhere on VHS. If I ever find it I'll have to digitize it & upload it here or something.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 - 17:18:10 
Background

Favorite Character(s): Plucky Duck
This episode was proof that even our ancestors hated Elmyra.

PostPosted: Thursday, January 28th, 2010 - 06:19:01 
Sketch

I don't even think there was an Elmyra stone age version. Only Dizzysaurus got a view of the horrors of the future.