Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Thursday, May 25th, 2017 - 06:26:10

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wakko's Wish
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:38:46 
Site Admin

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
Until recently, I never even knew this movie existed. I lost track of Animaniacs when it went to the WB because the only way to see it where I lived was on cable tv, which we didn't have. I got it for Christmas, though, and was a bit disapointed with it. For those who may not have seen it yet and don't want spoilers, or if you have seen it and liked it and don't want it ruined for you, stop reading.

The animation was good, but unfortunately I think that was the best part. I did also like how so many of the past characters were involved in some way, even if they were only cameos. It was neat to see everyone interacting together.

The story wasn't put together very well, though. Dot was supposed to sick, the implication being that she was possibly even dying. Yet while half the time she played the sick child routine, looking cute and pitiful, the other half of the time she was up singing and dancing along with everyone else. Sometimes the two happened in the same scene, like during the haypenny song.

I also didn't like how they tried to animate a whole classical piece of music. I know putting animation to classical music is traditional for cartoons, and some of it worked pretty well. But doing the whole piece just went a bit too far because they had to warp the story around it. The chase scene was good, but when the music slowed down it just seemed unnecessary to have to stop the action like they did, and then start it up again when the music picked up again. They should have just eneded the music and focused on the plot. The music should work for the show, not the other way around.

What bugged me most, though, was the ending. They spend the whole time making you worry about Dot and whether or not she's going to be ok and get the opperation she needs, even going so far as to create a death scene for her. And then, after tugging on your heart strings the whole movie, they proceed to rip your heart out and stomp all over it when they reveal that the opperation she needed was for nothing more serious than a beauty mark added to her cheek.

Yeah, thanks for that. Seriously, it almost made me start disliking Dot, and that's a real shame. Animaniacs was one of my favorite shows, and to think that they almost killed it for me at the very end is tragic. Knowing what happens at the end of the movie makes rewatching it a lot harder, too, because you know it's all just an really long set up for a really bad joke. I'd still buy the movie if the ever release it on DVD, but I think it would be for the sake of completing my collection more than anything else.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Wakko's Wish
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:39:47 
Script

Favorite Character(s): Gogo Dodo
I haven't seen this one yet, but I'll see if I can look it up. Until then any comments I could add to this or the review in general would be uniformed and thus productive, kind of like the comment I'm making right now.

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:40:24 
Sketch

Bubbles' Big Brother wrote:
uniformed and thus productive
I completely disagree that uniforms lead to productivity, (and of course I couldn't let the joke go) but I certainly suggest you look the movie up.

As I remember it, it was quite well done and kept within the insanity that was Animaniacs, while still managing to put together a full length movie. I think the illness thing was actually pretty well done and strangely in character. Nothing on the show, particularly with the Warners was ever what it seemed. I think it almost makes the events more amusing knowing that's what they were going through (I'm assuming her brothers knew, since I can't recall from the movie).

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:41:46 
Inked Cell

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
FYI: if you missed the VHS release it's now available on the iTunes store.

I first heard about this in driver's ed when the teacher said "I need to return this tape to blockbuster but haven't watched it yet so we're gonna watch a movie instead today" & popped in Dennis the Menice (live action *yuck*). at the front there was an ad for an A! direct to video called "Wakko's Wacko Wish". I guess the dropped the adjective since he wish wasn't that crazy...

Overall not bad. Better than some of the final episodes of the show by far. Good songs. Interesting how they put all the characters together. Causes problems with fan theories regarding if the warners are royal or not from King Yakko since Wakko's Wish puts a different spin on it - but it's the only place you can see a pic of the warner's parents so assuming you take it as cannon (but you probably don't since the story takes place 100 years ago) then that kills other fan theories of their origin (minus the news reel of course).

Good moments of Yakko playing dad (poor wakko gets forgotten though). good animation (if you can forgive the CG bed - the cheaters!).

Yeah the editing feels like it was either "shoot we forgot about Dot's illness" or a giant **** you to the audience... but... depending on your sense of humor it's funny.

I liked in the credits how it said who did what voice. Really showed you how talented the actors are!

If you're a big fan of the show I'd say get it. If a casual fan I'd say rent it.

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tuesday, June 01st, 2010 - 12:03:30 
Musical Score

Favorite Character(s): check my sig banners :-3
despite the sorta lame ending i still have fond memories of watching this Movie :)

I also Collect, Buy, Sell, Trade, Appraise, the Pokemon aka Pocket Monsters Trading Card Game :D
3DS Friendcode : 0731-4800-6817

PostPosted: Sunday, September 16th, 2012 - 18:34:04 
Musical Score

Favorite Character(s): Babs, Dot, Fifi, Gogo
I think this is probably one of the saddest movies ever made. I remember watching it when I was three or four around 2000 and being sad about the "death" scene, and I thought it was pretty intense. Now that I'm older I've realized it's not just the movie itself that's sad, but the circumstances surrounding it. This was the absolute end of Animaniacs, and if I'm not mistaken the end of the Amblin/Warner enterprise itself. Not only that, but it was released on December 21st, 1999--this movie really marked the end of the 1990s. :(

PostPosted: Thursday, February 28th, 2013 - 22:20:27 
Layout

Favorite Character(s): Buster Bunny, Plucky Duck
I taped this movie almost 10 years ago and though the film used classical pieces to make a new music score...it wasn't the first time. In a Doris Day film "My Dream is Yours", where Bugs Bunny uses the Franz Liszt song "Hungarian Rhapsody" for the song "Freddy get Ready".

In a way...that scene in "My Dream is Yours" looks like Warner Brothers was trying to do something that "Anchors Aweigh" and "The Three Caballeros" did five years before that....

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sunday, February 08th, 2015 - 17:24:20 
Toon

Favorite Character(s): Babs and Fifi
I am watching it had for christmas now bring back warm memories dot death scene is suppsed to be a parody of disney deaths and I love how brain become prime minster, also lots of good line and I love dot bedtime story

Skippy- It so cold my nuts are frozen

Slappy- Be careful with last verse

Wonder how they got away with

Also lot Slazar greatest tortuce hits

PostPosted: Monday, February 09th, 2015 - 21:32:50 
Pencil Test

Favorite Character(s): Rita and Runt
This is the movie that made me quote Slappy:

Quote:
Enough with the singing already!

I like how they used a vast majority of the cast, though (even those characters that were scrapped early on on the series), but that's about it. I didn't enjoy the movie that much.

PostPosted: Monday, June 01st, 2015 - 12:32:31 
Animaniac

Favorite Character(s): Fifi La Fume and Rita
Good news:

You can watch Wakko's Wish here! :D

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Animaniac ... e?id=29618

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage