Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 - 02:40:51

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Saturday, December 06th, 2014 - 20:07:18 
Pencil Test

Favorite Character(s): Rita and Runt
While I don’t have anything against these characters, I have to say that I had a hard time with their episodes (especially with the Hippos).

Katie Ka-Boom feels like a failed experiment created in an effort to add more human characters to the show (because, let’s face it, it sometimes feels like zoo-land). I appreciate the effort, but they didn't think this too well before greenlighted it. This character feels so hollow that it’s scary, and her shtick is too bland to be repeated too many times (and it’s not like the show didn't know how to handle that kinds of situations, Chicken Boo was a one-joke character as well, and he was great!). To top it off, every single one of her cartoons were tossed over to Freelance to animate (the cheapest studio of them all), and her debut cartoon (Katie Ka-BOO) was also her only one for months. This is a character that I truly believe could have been great if they'd handled it with a little more care, but instead, it is ruling every «worst characters» list that I could find. So sad.

The Hippos are the most boring characters that I have encounter on this show. Of all their cartoons, the only one I could STAND was «La Behemoth» (with the rest being a pain to sit thru). And sometimes -and this is what makes them top candidates to be the worst characters on the show- the only good part of their cartoons were the character cameos. Whereas is the Warners or Rita and Runt, their cartoons would have been much worse without them (and when you are saved by other characters you’d rather be seeing, then you have a problem).

I don’t know what was the big idea behind them, but ya know what? I kinda liked them when they did cameos and stuff. They were funny that way, but when it comes to star their own cartoons... yeah. They should have sticked to cameos.

But the thing that really annoys me about the whole thing is that these characters continued to starred in cartoons well into the twilight of the show, but we never got another Minerva Mink, Mr Skullhead or Rita and Runt cartoon after season 1. I can understand it about Minerva and the stray duo, but why they kept these characters for so long, that I cannot understand.

BTW (and just because I didn’t want to make another post): I paused Wakko’s Wish at the WRONG moment.

Spoiler:

What happened to these guys? Did all of them found The Secret of Life at the same time or what? :lol:

Last edited by Moonlight on Sunday, December 07th, 2014 - 00:55:52, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Saturday, December 06th, 2014 - 22:25:45 
Sound Effect

Favorite Character(s): Babs, Dot, Fifi, Gogo
I agree, most of the Katie-Kabooms were animated pretty terribly. For the most part, I think they could have done without that character. The one with Chicken Boo was alright, and the driving one, and the phone one I liked cause it was kind of trippy. 8-) The Hippos, I'm neutral on. I can sit through their cartoons but I'd rather be watching the Warners. The episode "Noah's Lark" is probably the one I like best out of theirs, but I think that might mostly be because of Noah (and his speech patterns), not to mention the Buster and Babs cameo.

The way they used a lot of characters was kind of weird, in some parts of the show's run there was like ten episodes in a row featuring Slappy cartoons (which is perfectly fine, just an observation), but not a whole lot of anyone else. Then there was a few episodes where they relied heavily on the Goodfeathers. Even Rita and Runt had a couple segments in a row I think. But Katie Kaboom I think they could have laid off of, especially considering they were pretty much all the same. I get the feeling they threw those in when they were running a couple minutes short, since none of them are really all too long.

PostPosted: Sunday, December 07th, 2014 - 00:08:03 
Tiny Toon

Favorite Character(s): Plucky,Hamton,SweetieDizzy etc
The Hip Hippos were always necessary! They brought balance to the looniverse! ;) I know what you mean though. The Hip Hippos and Katie Ka-Boom seemed like last minute add on's. One particular series that I certainly never cared for at all were those stupid "Buttons & Mindy" cartoons. :x All those were, was a depiction of a loyal and selfless character getting gratuitously brutalized while trying to keep a little brat from killing herself(sometimes Mindy would make it all the way back to her harness without any need for help, thus making Buttons' suffering even more pointless) only to be yelled at, scolded and have his food withheld by the most loathsome, irresponsible excuse for a mother and pet owner this side of Grim Fairy Tales and that one owner Tom had in those Russian "Tom & Jerry" cartoons. :evil: The only Buttons & Mindy cartoon I ever enjoyed was their Halloween episode, which had next to no Buttons abuse, and a really great parody of "Thriller". :ugeek:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sunday, December 07th, 2014 - 01:16:55 
Pencil Test

Injun-Joe wrote:
One particular series that I certainly never cared for at all were those stupid "Buttons & Mindy" cartoons. :x All those were, was a depiction of a loyal and selfless character getting gratuitously brutalized while trying to keep a little brat from killing herself(sometimes Mindy would make it all the way back to her harness without any need for help, thus making Buttons' suffering even more pointless) only to be yelled at, scolded and have his food withheld by the most loathsome, irresponsible excuse for a mother

Oh! Don't even get me started with these two. I haven't met ANY fan of that skit, not even a single person... and why's that? Because it's gruesome. And ya know what? It's been already enough talks about how they got away with characters like Minerva Mink and Hello Nurse, but I have a better to topic to discuss on the subject... how did they got away with a cartoon that is basically endorsing violence towards animals? Who thought those guys would work on the Animaniacs universe?

Now, I know I’m sounding like a demented fan, but I have a perfectly legit question to ask: Make any of these three cartoons costed money, right? Wouldn't it have been nicer if they took all that money and spent it on more Minerva Mink or Rita and Runt cartoons instead? Even if making ONE of each of those takes the same budget than TEN of the other ones, it still would have been better.

Last edited by Moonlight on Monday, December 08th, 2014 - 14:22:15, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sunday, December 07th, 2014 - 08:30:12 
Animaniac

Favorite Character(s): Fifi La Fume and Rita
I always thought the Katie Ka-Boom cartoons were pretty amusing.

The hippo cartoons are another story. If they weren't so lovey-dovey all the time, they could've been better.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Monday, December 08th, 2014 - 14:15:21 
Tiny Toon

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who always hated Buttons and Mindy. :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: Monday, December 08th, 2014 - 14:49:02 
Animaniac

You know who irritates me? Mindy's mom.

Sorry to go off-topic there.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Monday, December 08th, 2014 - 14:55:10 
Pencil Test

Fifilover wrote:

And ya know what bothers me? They gave her her wish in the movie. What a waste!

PostPosted: Monday, December 08th, 2014 - 15:03:23 
Tiny Toon

Moonlight wrote:
Fifilover wrote:

Yeah totally! What was her wish again? :|

ImageImage

PostPosted: Monday, December 08th, 2014 - 15:05:36 
Pencil Test

Injun-Joe wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
Fifilover wrote:

Yeah totally! What was her wish again? :|

She wanted Mindy to call her "mom" instead of "lady". At least this scene is followed by Buttons finally getting his reward.

PostPosted: Tuesday, December 09th, 2014 - 02:38:23 
Tiny Toon

Too little, too late as far as I'm concerned. :x

ImageImage

PostPosted: Friday, July 17th, 2015 - 15:55:50 
Musical Score

Favorite Character(s): Babs, Plucky
Injun-Joe wrote:
One particular series that I certainly never cared for at all were those stupid "Buttons & Mindy" cartoons. :x All those were, was a depiction of a loyal and selfless character getting gratuitously brutalized while trying to keep a little brat from killing herself(sometimes Mindy would make it all the way back to her harness without any need for help, thus making Buttons' suffering even more pointless) only to be yelled at, scolded and have his food withheld by the most loathsome, irresponsible excuse for a mother and pet owner this side of Grim Fairy Tales and that one owner Tom had in those Russian "Tom & Jerry" cartoons. :evil: The only Buttons & Mindy cartoon I ever enjoyed was their Halloween episode, which had next to no Buttons abuse, and a really great parody of "Thriller". :ugeek:

I never liked most Buttons and Mindy episodes. I always felt sorry for all Buttons had to go through.
Despite that, the only terrible ones were those written by Nick Hollander except for Astro Buttons where he finally quits. Had they ended the series there, the world would've been a better place. The series would've been tolerable if Buttons didn't get scolded every episode and had better animation.The rest ranged from adequate to mediocre. I agree that Night of the Living Buttons was the most enjoyable one for the reasons you put. Also, it's the only episode where Buttons doesn't get scolded by Mindy's "mom" at the end.

Last edited by Yakkofan4! on Friday, April 22nd, 2016 - 14:43:04, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Friday, July 17th, 2015 - 17:22:48 
Animaniac

Katie Ka-Boom represents what teenage girls are really like:

Over-dramatic.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Friday, July 17th, 2015 - 20:03:38 
Pencil Test

Injun-Joe wrote:
Too little, too late as far as I'm concerned. :x

I don't know why, but only now I'm noticing this comment... I totally agree, by the way. That character had to endure so much abuse that it is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Saturday, July 18th, 2015 - 11:36:42 
Musical Score

Favorite Character(s): Babs, Plucky
If it wasn't for Spielberg's son, Buttons and Mindy wouldn't have made it.The story goes that Steven Spielberg had model sheets of potential franchises scattered about at home as he was deciding what to approve and what to disapprove, when his young son pointed at Mindy and said, "She's cool." Just like that, Mindy & Buttons were in.