Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Friday, May 26th, 2017 - 12:51:53

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Discussion on Real Toons
PostPosted: Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009 - 18:07:27 
Site Admin

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
If toons were real, and existed in the real world, what do you think they'd be like? What would be the physics behind them, and how would you explain some of the things they can do? There have been several instances where people have tried to explain these things to some degree, such as Roger Rabit, Bonkers, the Tiny Toons episode "Fields of Honey", and even the Animaniacs fanfic, "Family", which is what really got me thinking about this. However, instead of treating things like a cartoon, I'd prefer to treat this more as science fiction, because that might help keep things a bit more grounded in reality. Science fiction often has to base itself in fact, or at least in theory and speculation, which is what I'd like to have happen in this discussion.

What would be some of the possibilities that might help explain toons and how they opperate? What are they made of? How do they defy gravity? Do they age? Would there be hate groups formed against them because they're different? Would their natural abilities give them an evolutionary advantage over humans that would one day make them the dominant species on the planet?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 - 05:45:12 
Animaniac

Favorite Character(s): Fifi La Fume and Rita
If the Tiny Toons were real, would they still attend college? And if they did, what would they major in?

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 - 23:18:12 
Site Admin

Toon Dominance:
Realistically, I do think that toons would probably take over if given enough time. That is assuming they were an actual species that could reproduce on their own, and not have to be drawn by humans, of course. They do have many abilities that humans don't, including very good resistence to injury, better speed, a hammerspace, and so on, which would give them huge advantages over non-toons. Those advantages would naturally edge out everything else, even if they didn't actively try to replace us.

Toon Accidents:
If they did try, though, it might not take that many of them to accomplish the total extinction of the human race. They might even wipe us out by accident. Heaven knows no one but toons would survive something like a giant continent-drenching tsunami created during a simple water fight between two teenage rabbits.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Friday, September 25th, 2009 - 22:01:05 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
Realistically, I do think that toons would probably take over if given enough time. That is assuming they were an actual species that could reproduce on their own, and not have to be drawn by humans, of course. They do have many abilities that humans don't, including very good resistence to injury, better speed, a hammerspace, and so on, which would give them huge advantages over non-toons. Those advantages would naturally edge out everything else, even if they didn't actively try to replace us.

If they did try, though, it might not take that many of them to accomplish the total extinction of the human race. They might even wipe us out by accident. Heaven knows no one but toons would survive something like a giant continent-drenching tsunami created during a simple water fight between two teenage rabbits.

The reality of that last statement aside...
the first part of that last paragraph sounds like a great premise for a horror movie!

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Friday, September 25th, 2009 - 22:19:15 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
Framwinkle wrote:

The reality of that last statement aside...
the first part of that last paragraph sounds like a great premise for a horror movie!

And I have just the title!

"It Came From the Ink Well!"

:)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Monday, September 28th, 2009 - 11:00:05 
Sketch

pupspals wrote:

Not a horror, but a serious (Well, almost...) sci-fi thriller, i think.

PostPosted: Monday, September 28th, 2009 - 15:39:53 
Site Admin

Toon Hate:
Do you think toons might end up in a similar situation as mutants in the X-Men's world? A lot of people are afraid of mutants because of their abilities, and toons might end up being feared as well. I could see hate groups springing up in various places, and even legislation passed to try and control toons. And just as there are bad mutants who try to use their abilities to gain power, I'm sure the villain toons would probably try the same kind of thing, which wouldn't help toons' image. Maybe Acme Loo would end up acting as a haven for young toons, kind of the same way Professor Xavier's school does.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 - 19:10:22 
Site Admin

Toon War:
The idea of villain toons causing havok in the real world brings up another interesting idea. How would you stop a toon? Wars between the toons could be brutal for everyone, but especially non-toons. If rabbits in a waterfight can level half a continent, could any planet survive an all out toon war? How soon would the Earth be reduced to hot ionized atoms?

Toon Crime:
But avoiding the topic of war for the time being, let's just focus on the average toon crook. Can you stop a pickpocket who can litterally be in and out of your pocket before you know it? The Warners have popped out of a pitcher of water before, so if they can do that, what's to stop them from popping in and out of someone's pocket, too? Theoretically they can even steal your underware. Plenty of other toons have escaped from locked safes. If they can get out, it stands to reason they can get in. So really, nothing is safe from a determined toon.

Toon Violence:
But say a toon goes farther than just theft and starts threatening people's lives. I don't think it's a stretch to say that there are a few mad toons out there who might go postal at any given time, so how do you stop them? No human would have a chance if a toon decided to suddenly pull a mallet the size of a redwood out from behind their back and use it to flatten someone. It would probably require other toons to stop a toon on a killing spree. Which brings us to...

Toon Death:
How do you kill a toon? In Roger Rabbit it was some kind of paint thinner mixture, but that's assuming they're made out of ink and paint. If they were made out of sturdier materials then it might not be so easy. You can't smash them. You can't blow them up. Nearly everything you can do to a toon has already been done, and they just bounce back. About the only thing you can do is slow them down, hopefully enough to contain them, although I'm not sure how to do that, either.

The one possibility I've come up with for stopping a toon, which isn't even permanent, is to cut off their head and stuff it in a bag. A headless toon body wouldn't necessarily die, but would probably be useless without being able to see what it was doing. If it ever got ahold of the head again, though, or even any other toon's head, then it might go right back to normal.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 - 18:41:46 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
Toon Death:
How do you kill a toon? In Roger Rabbit it was some kind of paint thinner mixture, but that's assuming they're made out of ink and paint. If they were made out of sturdier materials then it might not be so easy. You can't smash them. You can't blow them up. Nearly everything you can do to a toon has already been done, and they just bounce back. About the only thing you can do is slow them down, hopefully enough to contain them, although I'm not sure how to do that, either.

Well as far as toons made on the computer (Pixar, flash, etc) you could try the 'ole computer virus trick! Claymation-type toons? Um... well Aardman didn't do too well in that studio fire so maybe that...

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thursday, October 15th, 2009 - 19:28:26 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
Well as far as toons made on the computer (Pixar, flash, etc) you could try the 'ole computer virus trick! Claymation-type toons? Um... well Aardman didn't do too well in that studio fire so maybe that...

Toon Composition:
That brings up another interesting topic. What are toons really made of? Usually it's assumed they're made of ink and paint, and in real cartoons that's certainly true, although I'm not sure where you draw the line. They start as drawings, then painted cells, then film, and finally photons coming from your television. (Or in the case of computer generated toons, they start out as 1s and 0s.) (Wubbzy/Tron crossover anyone?) ;)

But anyone can have their picture taken and be put on TV. They're still real people. If toons were going to exist outside of cartoons in this real world sci-fi senario then they'd probably have to be made of some kind of flesh and blood like other living creatures. Even ink and paint are solid materials, but I'm not sure how that could form a living creature.

I tend to think toons would have to have some kind of extra-dimensional qualities to them. If a part of them existed in another dimension, it could explain many of their characteristics, such as immortality, agelessness, their hammerspace, and so on. Try to kill a toon that exists in part in another dimension and it'd be a bit like killing Voldemort without destroying all of his horcruxes. Part of them would be unaffected, allowing them to simply bounce back.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thursday, October 15th, 2009 - 21:18:17 
Pencil Test

Favorite Character(s): Mary Melody
Abel DuSable, in his fanfics, simply referred to toon material as "aniplasm".

My FFN page: https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi
My FiM Fiction page: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/i_am_the_jam
My DeviantarArt page: http://iamthejam.deviantart.com/

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Saturday, October 17th, 2009 - 13:22:09 
Sketch

Framwinkle wrote:
I tend to think toons would have to have some kind of extra-dimensional qualities to them. If a part of them existed in another dimension, it could explain many of their characteristics, such as immortality, agelessness, their hammerspace, and so on. Try to kill a toon that exists in part in another dimension and it'd be a bit like killing Voldemort without destroying all of his horcruxes. Part of them would be unaffected, allowing them to simply bounce back.

Sounds logical enough. And if we imagine that every human being creates it's own dimensions through brain waves... Hey, we're making paranormal theories here!

PostPosted: Thursday, October 29th, 2009 - 08:25:52 
Script

Framwinkle wrote:
Toon Hate:
And just as there are bad mutants who try to use their abilities to gain power, I'm sure the villain toons would probably try the same kind of thing, which wouldn't help toons' image.

As a example, whatever character "Judge Doom" was supposed to be.

PostPosted: Thursday, February 18th, 2010 - 03:22:56 
Toon

Favorite Character(s): Babs and Fifi
Framwinkle wrote:
Toon Hate:
Do you think toons might end up in a similar situation as mutants in the X-Men's world? A lot of people are afraid of mutants because of their abilities, and toons might end up being feared as well. I could see hate groups springing up in various places, and even legislation passed to try and control toons. And just as there are bad mutants who try to use their abilities to gain power, I'm sure the villain toons would probably try the same kind of thing, which wouldn't help toons' image. Maybe Acme Loo would end up acting as a haven for young toons, kind of the same way Professor Xavier's school does.

The Burbank confesstion by Kitchen Sink actually deals with this concept and I can strongly recommand this fic

PostPosted: Friday, February 19th, 2010 - 20:41:53 
Site Admin

TinytoonCrazy wrote:
The Burbank confesstion by Kitchen Sink actually deals with this concept and I can strongly recommand this fic

Is that on Fanfic.net?

Image Image Image