Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Thursday, May 25th, 2017 - 02:44:11

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Saturday, February 20th, 2010 - 13:37:42 
Inked Cell

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
Framwinkle wrote:
TinytoonCrazy wrote:
The Burbank confesstion by Kitchen Sink actually deals with this concept and I can strongly recommand this fic

Is that on Fanfic.net?

yep. I highly recommend it. It's kinda like Family in that they're older & there's other cartoon characters in it, but not as good as Family IMHO.

It takes more of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit take on the situation. The ending's a bit much in my opinion, but it works & does tie everything together - which I was wondering how they were going to do that...

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Saturday, February 20th, 2010 - 15:13:29 
Toon

Favorite Character(s): Babs and Fifi
Here a link to the Burbank confession and yeah I agree with that sypnoisi purospals

(http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3366212/1/T ... Confession)

PostPosted: Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 - 14:16:01 
Site Admin

Toon Reproduction

Something that hasn't been discussed yet is toon reproduction. (Please, let's keep it clean.) How do toons reproduce? What are the rules?

A lot would depend on whether or not toons are all the same species, just with different appearences. For instance, there are many different dog breeds, but they're still all 'Canis familiaris' and can all breed with each other, (excepting for size differences.) So what of toons? Is a dog toon the same species as a cat toon? Or a bird toon? If Chip and Gadget from Rescue Rangers got married, could they have kids?

Furthermore, assuming children were possible between a toon mouse and toon chipmunk, what would those kids be like? I've seen representations in fan art that show the children as a mixture of mouse and chipmunk, a kind of hybrid. That's certainly the way it works with dog breeds. However, that also gets pretty messy, since if the intermixing went on over many generations, the various breeds would get lost in the mix and you'd end up with just one kind of dog that was the amalgam of all dog breeds. I don't think I'd like it if all the toons got mixed together. You wouldn't have any more rabbits/ducks/etc. It would all just be a big furry/feathery/scaley thing, which probably wouldn't be cute in the slightest.

I prefer to think that if toons of different "species" were to breed that the universe would pull another toony trick, and have the kids be either one "species" or the other. That's not to say that they'd all have to be one way or the other, either. I like to think that all the boys would be like the father, and the girls like the mother. That way you get children resembling both parents, but they don't loose any important characteristics.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 - 15:08:24 
Inked Cell

an interesting topic.

<typing off the top of my head>

I honestly can't think of a show where different toon species couldn't co-mingle. In the examples I'm thinking of (ranging from Who P-p-p-lugged Roger Rabbit book to Muppet Babies) if the child wasn't a mix of the species, then the kid's species would depend on what the kid's gender is. For example girls would be pigs like Miss (Mrs?) Piggy but boys would be frogs like Kermit.

& I can't think of a single instance (maybe Brian hitting on Lois on FG?) where a relationship was turned down due to incompatible species. although Babs stated a preference for rabbits ("I try not to date outside my own species") with cupid involved she had no issue with Max. Although marrying & having kids outside of adoption can be two different things.

If you look at the old cartoons (for the exception of Bosko who was later revealed to be a human (TTA "warner"-ized version aside)) it was obvious what a toon's species was. Yet nowadays not so much. logic would state this would be the result of co-mingling of toon species over time (or new species discovered/created by animators, etc).

Maybe it's like a donkey. If they're close enough then it mingles, but if it's different enough then the guy/girl rule goes into effect?

</typing off the top of my head>

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 - 19:35:04 
Site Admin

That's an interesting idea. If toons are close they mix, but if not then their kids are one or the other. It would kind of explain things like the Warners, who might be a mix of cat and dog. (Even though in reality cats and dogs aren't even close, it might be close enough for toons.)

But then what if a mixed species mates with a pure bred that wasn't closely related? Like, just off the top of my head, and using the Family story as reference, what if Wakko married Elmyra? Would the girls be human and the boys be the same mix as Wakko? Or would Wakko's dad's genes come through and make the boys all dogs?

I think mixing species kind of makes sense, and can sometimes be cute, but I'd still prefer to believe that there's some mechanism in place to help keep the species pure so we don't end up with a big mess down the line.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Friday, February 26th, 2010 - 20:03:40 
Site Admin

Hammerspace

How and why does toon hammerspace work? What kind of rules does it follow? I know it's talked about in "Family", but I don't think it works quite right there.

The simplest explanation I can come up with for why it works is that toons have some special quantum properties that can function on a macro scale. This could give them many of their abilities, such as agelessness, resistence to injury and death, and so on. Essentially a part of them exists in another dimension. For hammerspace to work, they simply tap in to that other dimension to retrieve the items they want. That's kind of how it is in "Family".

As for how toon hammerspace works, though, I think that story limits it too much, forcing the toons to reach behind their back, and only allowing them to retrieve items they've already placed there. For most toons, though, they don't seem to have such limits, and can pull nearly anything from anywhere. We've seen toons reach in to pockets they shouldn't have, and pull things from bags, from under hats, and many other places. They also conjure up items that should be impossible for them to actually aquire, such as cruise ships, space shuttles, and so on. I'm not exactly sure how, but I don't think toons are limited as to what they can produce from their hammerspace.

I think hammerspace might also help explain a few of the abilities toons have. "Family" suggested that it's involved in spin changes, and it sounds plausible enough that they could pull a new costume from their space while spinning so you wouldn't see it happen. But why not have it help them do things like escaping from safes, or walking through painted doors? If they simply put themselves into their hammerspace, they could then appear to pass through solid matter in our universe. It would also allow them to do things like jump out of waterglasses, or patients in surgery.

I think hammerspace may also not be limited to the toons themselves, but that they can make things appear at a distance as well. It would explain how things like anvils can drop from nowhere out of the sky, since they don't always have a prince or princess of props to help them out. ;)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thursday, May 20th, 2010 - 10:30:18 
Script

Favorite Character(s): Buster
As for combating the toons, we would use the dip from WFRR. It is an actual compund that dissolves ink and paint I'm sure, even if they were made of organic compounds, acid still might destroy them

Come see me make my own cartoon, and please, click follow

http://www.rutherferdpaws.blogspot.com

Like videogames? Like comedic RL sketches? Like me?

http://www.youtube.com/redrailroadent

PostPosted: Thursday, May 20th, 2010 - 11:49:32 
Site Admin

Cognitofalcon wrote:
As for combating the toons, we would use the dip from WFRR. It is an actual compund that dissolves ink and paint I'm sure, even if they were made of organic compounds, acid still might destroy them

Acid might work. Even if toons do have some extra-dimensional properties, acid would disolve their physical bodies, breaking molecular bonds, and possibly disconnect their connection to whatever part of them exists in the other dimension in a way that couldn't be done by simply crushing or cutting them.

But then again, toons get burned all the time, sometimes even to ashes, and yet they bounce back just fine. So just disolving them may not work if the extra-dimensional connection is on a quantum level, which wouldn't be affected by a simple chemical reaction.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, May 23rd, 2010 - 18:36:01 
Script

Favorite Character(s): Buster
Here's an interesting thought. Can toons pull other toons from their hammer space. Can other people use a toons hammerspacez? Could they even travel through a hammer space. In the event of toon war, how couldthey use a toon's hammerspace against them?

Come see me make my own cartoon, and please, click follow

http://www.rutherferdpaws.blogspot.com

Like videogames? Like comedic RL sketches? Like me?

http://www.youtube.com/redrailroadent

PostPosted: Monday, May 24th, 2010 - 01:19:18 
Site Admin

Cognitofalcon wrote:
Here's an interesting thought. Can toons pull other toons from their hammer space. Can other people use a toons hammerspacez? Could they even travel through a hammer space. In the event of toon war, how couldthey use a toon's hammerspace against them?

Hmm... Interesting. I'm not sure if a toon can pull another from their hammer-space. At least, I'm not sure if they can do so without the cooperation of the other toon. I can't think of any good examples, except possibly Wakko pulling people out of his sack.

There's the inverse, too, where one toon puts another in their hammer-space. When Byron ate Babs in the Night Ghoulery special, he had to somehow put her in to a hammer-space, since Babs is bigger than Byron and she wouldn't have fit otherwise. But was Babs cooperating in that instance since it was for a show? Or could Byron eat another toon that way without their cooperation?

Another question is whether or not an eaten toon could escape on their own. When a toon is put into a hammer-space like that, is it a separate personal hammer-space that only one toon controls, or are all hammer-spaces somehow linked so that you could enter one and come out another? Or maybe you could use one hammer-space to kind of tunnel out of another, like opening a wormhole within a wormhole? For the sake of plot, a toon is usually trapped when eaten by another toon, as when the wolverine ate Hamton, Plucky, Babs and some others in the "Buster and the Wolverine" cartoon. But could they actually get out if they wanted to? Could they just cut open his side and slip out, or maybe like escaping from a locked safe they could just appear somewhere else?

Could one toon use the hammer-space of another toon? I don't know. I kind of think so, to a limited degree. For instance, if one toon were knocked unconscious and another toon went through their "pockets" looking for something, I think that would work.

But then again, what about falling anvils? Those presumably come from one toons' hammer-space, yet other toons don't seem to be able to simply absorb them into their own space. So that kind of indicates that something that comes out of the HS of one toon is incompatible with the HS of another toon, at least for a while, maybe until it stops being funny.

I'm pretty sure travel through HS is possible, since that seems to be how they get out of locked safes, or go through walls. It may also come into play when rabbits burrow from one place to another, since actually digging the whole way would be prohibitive, so they probably only make it look like they're digging for a ways, and then warp to their destination.

I'm not sure how a toon could use another's HS against the other toon. Did you have any ideas in mind?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, May 30th, 2010 - 19:51:24 
Site Admin

This picture by Jose-Ramiro got me thinking. Babs is really good at spin changes, and can spin into pretty much any costume she wants. But is it possible for a toon to change their species, too?

http://jose-ramiro.deviantart.com/art/Spin-Changer-Babs-165883948

Offhand, I can't think of a time when it's happened.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Monday, May 31st, 2010 - 21:13:59 
Inked Cell

Hmm... well Felix & other "rubberhose" toons have shrunk & stretched their ears, tails, etc to look like other species for a gag. & in House of Mouse Mickey could change from his current eyes & tan to his classic black & white style with a spin change so even color shift is possible. And lots of toons have had their head turn into a wolf when whistling at a girl. Chances are she'd still be a rabbit, but could look like some other species temporarily.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thursday, June 03rd, 2010 - 10:00:28 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
Hmm... well Felix & other "rubberhose" toons have shrunk & stretched their ears, tails, etc to look like other species for a gag. & in House of Mouse Mickey could change from his current eyes & tan to his classic black & white style with a spin change so even color shift is possible. And lots of toons have had their head turn into a wolf when whistling at a girl. Chances are she'd still be a rabbit, but could look like some other species temporarily.

That seems reasonable. I wonder if the "rubberhose" toons are somehow different than more modern toons, though, since I don't think that kind of thing happens much anymore. Wakko has extended his neck to pretend he was a giraffe, but it was really only his neck that changed. Also, I think the wolf whistle thing is really just a kind of wild take, not an actual transformation. But it's an interesting idea.

Maybe toons could change their appearance like Babs did in the picture, but no one had really thought of doing it before? But if Babs could do that sort of thing, you'd think she would have done it when she was impersonating her friends in "Born to be Riled."

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thursday, June 03rd, 2010 - 13:59:02 
Inked Cell

true. Babs had to wear a fake beak to impersonate Plucky. not shape change. although that might've been creepy & not as funny as the "fake nose & glasses" bit.

personally I think there's kind of a "loss of abilities" the more modern toons get. the old rubberhose guys could stretch & change & no one thought twice. (FYI Wakko also used his tail as a golf club once - disconnecting it from his body) most 2D toons can do crazy wild takes, spin changes, etc (although less likely the newer they are). few flash toons do spin changes & basic wild takes. I haven't seen too much out of CG toons. they're too realistic. The closest I've seen to a classic looney tune in CG world is Pixar's Presto short (pre Wall-e) & that was more crazy props than crazy squash & stretch. I'm sure someone's done it (even if it's just a college student) but I think it's a mental block to see a photo realistic BG & a guy ripping off his arm to hit something with it.

Although technically Felix & Mickey have been CG'd before. But again, I haven't seen them do any of the crazy stuff they did before.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thursday, June 03rd, 2010 - 18:45:04 
Site Admin

I remember Wakko using his tail as a golf club. But that does seem pretty rare these days.

I've never done any flash animation, but if I understand it correctly, it's basically the manipulation of defined shapes, right? You put a bunch of shapes together to make a character, and then the computer moves the shapes to give the character motion. So, to do a wild take, a bunch of new shapes would have to be drawn, wouldn't they? The shapes would get used for one or two frames each, and then thrown away, unless the take is saved for later use. I imagine that's not considered cost effective, and also a lot harder compared to just moving pre-existing shapes.

3D animation seems like it would have a similar problem, since they work hard to define the structure of the characters and how they move. So to suddenly have to define a new way for them to move, via a wild take, would be a lot more work for a very short scene. Traditional animation didn't have these limitations, since every frame was already drawn by hand, so it was no big deal to simply draw the character in a crazy new way.

Image Image Image