Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 - 14:28:39

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elephant Issues
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:56:10 
Site Admin

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
Normally, I wouldn't allow links to video of the episodes, since I want to encourage DVD sales. But since this one isn't on DVD yet, and to be honest I'm not sure it will be, I'm including a link to it that I found on Youtube. This one you just have to see to believe. There should be one more cartoon in this episode, but I can't find it, and don't know what it's even called.

One Beer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYMYv1zsAxE

Why Dizzy Can't Read
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il0oJ7yqOrk

The first time I saw the beer cartoon on Youtube I thought it was some kind of joke at first. I may have seen this episode when it first aired, but honestly it's been too long for me to remember, and I don't have it in my VHS collection, so I can't be sure. It's certainly not your usual Tiny Toons episode, and from what I've heard it was banned after only its first showing. I can see why, but I still hope it ends up on the DVDs.

The bottomless beer bottle is kind of ridiculous, as well as them getting drunk after just one sip. I guess toons can't hold their liquor. ;) It's not really a good cartoon, but the shock factor kept me glued to it. I'm pretty sure cartoon pigs wear longer robes in heaven. At least I sure hope they do. ::shudder::

The Dizzy cartoon isn't all that good, either, although I did like Babs joking about not being drawn well. :) I understand that they were on a time limit, but having him go from completely illiterate to reading fairytales is a bit much. They could have at least tried to help him learn, and then imply that he'd studied off camera. Oh well.

All in all, these cartoons just make me go, "Huh?" because I can't quite believe what I just saw. It's certainly an interesting part of Tiny Toon history.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Elephant Issues
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:56:26 
Pencil Test

Favorite Character(s): Mary Melody
What do elephants have to do with these eps?

Oddly enough, they were aired normally in Mexico, and were never banned at all.

My FFN page: https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi
My FiM Fiction page: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/i_am_the_jam
My DeviantarArt page: http://iamthejam.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:56:51 
Sketch

Favorite Character(s): Buster and Babs
I know I've seen both of those episodes when Nickelodeon was showing reruns of TTA. Both episodes have a message They are trying to deliver to the viewers.

One Beer:
The dangers of underage drinking and peer pressure.
This is a very serious episode. It's trying to shock it viewers to get its point across.

Why Dizzy Cant Read.
Reading is fun.
The episode does seem rushed. It could have used a montage of Dizzy reading many different books about food leading to Buster and Babs hearing him reading to the class. The tone of this episode is a little serious but uses Babs of a little comic relief.

It seem like both episodes were used to close out the show with.

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:57:21 
Inked Cell

I never saw the Dizzy one before thanks.

notice the song reference "Me so Dizzy, my head is spinning?" Dizzy'd later sing on the Tiny Toons Sing album.

interesting how some of the character Dizzy read to at the end of the short but not others. like it was a pre-school or younger grade. Maybe Gogo & Calamity are younger than the others?? Sweetie & Sneezer appeared to be younger too.

I'd want to see that episode of Tiny Toons! Plucky in a Turkish prison should be funny!

...Of course they're leaving out the part where the kids get so hooked on reading that the show has low ratings & gets canceled... but that's what the TTA Magazine was for I guess ;)

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:57:55 
Sketch

Questionable source, but according to Wikipedia, the Elephant Issues episode is:

Wraparounds: Gogo Dodo explains that the episodes all deal with "relevant issues", including peer pressure.
"Why Dizzy Can't Read": Dizzy Devil has to learn to read in order to be in a play, but is distracted by the television.
"C.L.I.D.E. and Prejudice": A robot student named C.L.I.D.E. joins Acme Looniversity, and turns to Buster for help after being teased by Montana Max.
"One Beer": Buster, Plucky and Hamton become intoxicated and "kill" themselves after driving a car off a cliff.

I didn't think the beer one was that bad (aside from potentially the quick reveal that it was all just an act may suggest that there are no real consequences, but I still think it got its point across) it just seemed like a general PSA episode. Given that, I thought it was pretty well done. Not really sure what was so ban-able about it.

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:58:20 
Site Admin

The J.A.M. wrote:
What do elephants have to do with these eps?

Oddly enough, they were aired normally in Mexico, and were never banned at all.

They're called elephant issues because they're supposed to be big issues that don't usually get talked about, but are still hard to ignore, like an elephant in your living room would also be hard to ignore.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:58:43 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
notice the song reference "Me so Dizzy, my head is spinning?" Dizzy'd later sing on the Tiny Toons Sing album.

There's a Tiny Toons album? Why don't I have this? I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it now.

Quote:
interesting how some of the character Dizzy read to at the end of the short but not others. like it was a pre-school or younger grade. Maybe Gogo & Calamity are younger than the others?? Sweetie & Sneezer appeared to be younger too.

I think they just threw in some characters that were either young, or could be mistaken for being young. It's part of that 'saving money' thing again, instead of creating new characters just for one scene.

Quote:
I'd want to see that episode of Tiny Toons! Plucky in a Turkish prison should be funny!

That's essentially what happened after the 'Istanbul, not Constantiople' cartoon, isn't it? ;)

Quote:
...Of course they're leaving out the part where the kids get so hooked on reading that the show has low ratings & gets canceled... but that's what the TTA Magazine was for I guess ;)

Yeah, I was wondering about that. A tv show endorsing not watching television? I still need to get those magazines, too.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:59:05 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
pupspals wrote:

There's a Tiny Toons album? Why don't I have this? I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it now.

After I missed buying the Disney Afternoon CD I had to get this when I spotted it in a store. It's what I had Charlie Adler autograph when I first met him as an intern. The funny thing is that the theme is altered to say "invading your CD" instead of "TV" but I've only seen this as a cassette & never as a CD.
Good luck finding it. Quick search of ebay & amazon show nothing! One of these days I'll get these on my iPod but it takes so many steps when it's a cassette. so far I've only found the Tiny Toons Name Game remake (with Elmyra singing the whole thing) online.

It's called Tiny Toons Sing!

Sadly the only pic I could find is my autographed one - google gave me nothing! this may be a hard find for you...

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:59:35 
Site Admin

That's pretty cool! What songs does it have? Are they any good? Any original material, or just stuff from the show?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:59:51 
Site Admin

t.s. wrote:
Wraparounds: Gogo Dodo explains that the episodes all deal with "relevant issues", including peer pressure.

Gogo as the straight man? Now I know they're looney.

Quote:
"C.L.I.D.E. and Prejudice": A robot student named C.L.I.D.E. joins Acme Looniversity, and turns to Buster for help after being teased by Montana Max.

A toon robot. Now that I'd like to see.

Quote:
Not really sure what was so ban-able about it.

Well, I imagine just the sight of toons openly drinking beer did it in. Hopefully they'll treat the DVD audience as a little more mature and include it in the set.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:00:08 
Site Admin

C.H wrote:
It seem like both episodes were used to close out the show with.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but now that you bring it up, I have to wonder where in the lineup that episode was.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:00:31 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
That's pretty cool! What songs does it have? Are they any good? Any original material, or just stuff from the show?

original stuff!!!

Um... from memory... altered theme song (invading CD & full theme song AKA Tiny Toons Round the World with plucky, sweetie, etc singing in other languages), name game (but different from show), buster singing don't worry be happy, shirley singing what a day for a daydream, Dizzy singing dizzy, fifi singing wear the boys are, plucky singing yakkity yak, babs singing girls just wanna have fun, some rap... there's a whole other side of the cassette...

Thing thing must have cost some major bucks between songs that were never used (or at least not that version) in the show & the use of popular songs not original ones. Very good recording. Great singing (although Buster's is... ok. a friend of mine heard it & thought it was Alvin & the Chipmunks). Whenever I hear one of the songs from this on the radio (minus yakkity yak - that I think Daisy Donald version), I think of these versions!

If you so desire... (Please, if you can buy the cassette!!) I found this online but don't recall what site, so I uploaded The Name Game on my geocities (before it dies *sob*) for you to listen to:
http://www.geocities.com/pups_pals/TheNameGame.mp3
(PS please ignore the site itself, it's horrible!)

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:01:13 
Site Admin

Cool! Thank you! That's one instance when I think Elmyra's special brand of insanity fits really well. She's perfect for that song. I also like how Buster taunts her to sing his name, and how Babs offers to toss her for "Queen of the world." If I ever find it, I'll definitely have to buy that tape.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 13:01:28 
Inked Cell

If I remember correctly, the extended theme from the album is also on this CD (which is also out of print but easier to find). unfortunately the sample amazon gives isn't far enough in the song to hear.
http://www.amazon.com/Toon-Tunes-Funny-Bone-Favorites/dp/samples/B00005MLXE/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

(& FYI: if you're looking for CDRR, DW, etc they're on this other CD: http://www.amazon.com/Toon-Tunes-Action-Packed-Peter-Fernandez/dp/samples/B00005MLXD/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1)

EDIT: I did remember correctly when I found this song from the CD in my iTunes! I also figured out how to share it without breaking the "buy it to support it (& pesky copyright)" rule since these CDs are still fairly easy to get even though out of print... I only have the part that's different from the regular theme song. This clip starts where the normal theme song would end. then this clip's end is where the regular theme song comes back in:

http://www.geocities.com/pups_pals/26TinyToonAdventures-XtraEDIT.mp3

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Monday, June 22nd, 2009 - 18:11:29 
Site Admin

Well, I'm definitely going to have to find this thing. I've been listening to the Name Game for most of the weekend. I'm not that impressed with the extended part of the extended theme, but it's still interesting to hear.

Image Image Image