Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Sunday, May 28th, 2017 - 00:42:10

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animaniacs!
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:48:53 
Site Admin

Favorite Character(s): Babs Bunny
The first half of this episode is kind of boring for me. I like seeing them explain a bit about the process of making a cartoon, and I'm sure the people involved enjoyed doing that part. But my favorite part of this one are the student films that get shown. I love the way each of them reflects the personality of the author, and I especially love how Monty gets thrown out for his film. That one was so bad, it was hillarious.

The one thing I find odd is the concept of toons making cartoons. Normally, they seem to simply act out the cartoon, but here they were drawing them, as happens in the real world. But what of their creations? Did they become toons in some sub-dimension of their own?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
http://www.framwinkle.com
Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Animaniacs!
PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:49:12 
Inked Cell

I actually liked the behind the scenes more than the film festival. But then... I work in cartoons so I'm biased. What's funny is that the majority of that isn't accurate anymore now that computers are involved. kinda sad. But it's a good history lesson.

I always wondered about the name in relation to the show. which came first. were both ideas floating around. did one inspire the other?

Remind me: I have the script for this at home. It's hard to get to, but at some point I should be able to scan this for you guys. I have a couple of A! scripts too thanks to Script City. they get scripts from actors, etc who don't want them anymore (one P&B script was given by Maurice LaMarche). sometimes you get cool production notes. You get a copy of the original, but it's still cool.

=================
================================================================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:50:28 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
I actually liked the behind the scenes more than the film festival. But then... I work in cartoons so I'm biased. What's funny is that the majority of that isn't accurate anymore now that computers are involved. kinda sad. But it's a good history lesson.

So they don't do it that way now, even for traditional hand drawn animation? And call me crazy, but I always thought the photographer's job would be kind of cool, despite what Plucky thought of it. That's the guy who finally puts the show together. Maybe I just like working with expensive machines. :)

Quote:
I always wondered about the name in relation to the show. which came first. were both ideas floating around. did one inspire the other?

I would assume that the TTA episode came first, since it was in season 1, and Animaniacs didn't start until a few years later. But I'm certainly no expert.

Quote:
Remind me: I have the script for this at home. It's hard to get to, but at some point I should be able to scan this for you guys. I have a couple of A! scripts too thanks to Script City. they get scripts from actors, etc who don't want them anymore (one P&B script was given by Maurice LaMarche). sometimes you get cool production notes. You get a copy of the original, but it's still cool.

Cool! That would be neat to see. I got a copy of the RR Bible when you mentioned that place earlier, but I never thought about looking for other shows. Of course, I don't really have the money to buy anything at the moment.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:50:41 
Pencil Test

Favorite Character(s): Mary Melody
I always considered A! as a semi-spin off of TTA. Ralph the Guard and Mr. Skullhead originally appeared in TTA.

My FFN page: https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi
My FiM Fiction page: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/i_am_the_jam
My DeviantarArt page: http://iamthejam.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:51:12 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
pupspals wrote:

So they don't do it that way now, even for traditional hand drawn animation? And call me crazy, but I always thought the photographer's job would be kind of cool, despite what Plucky thought of it. That's the guy who finally puts the show together. Maybe I just like working with expensive machines. :)

So said the Simpsons camera guy who just got laid off a few weeks ago since the show went digital (it's been edited digitally for a while now, but now it's even drawn on cintiqs) & there's no need for him anymore. Yeah it's hand drawn, but everything's scanned into the computer or drawn on the computer. Since there's no film, there's no need for camera. It's much cheaper to have a PA (lowest level job) put the stack of drawings in the photocopier/scanner & have the editor make the camera movements - especially since the director will just make them change it anyway. Or a compositor will take all the elements & put it together & add camera movements in After Effects. The animation itself is done overseas so it might vary but it's basically the same. Last I heard they scanned everything into the computer & digitally ink & painted it so it would have clean lines, etc. On Hellboy we'd get thousands of .tiff images & then my job was to go into quicktime & "create image sequence" of those .tiff files & that would turn it into animation. I just told it what the frame count was. The whole reason the Simpsons dropped cell animation at all was because no one sold cells anymore. The overseas studios had to call Fox & say they'd be late because there's nothing for them to paint the images on! Basically the digital age phased the guy out of his job. I'm honestly surprised it held out for as long as it did. That being said, they didn't get rid of his equipment or presets yet...

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:51:53 
Site Admin

The J.A.M. wrote:
I always considered A! as a semi-spin off of TTA. Ralph the Guard and Mr. Skullhead originally appeared in TTA.

I came accross this picture while watching it again.

I don't have a pic on hand, but doesn't that look like Charlton Woodchuck, the annoying acting woodchuck who went to Hollywood? And the guy on the other end reminds me of Beanie the Bison in different colors. I also noticed a 'Wheel O Morality' poster in the room where they were making the cartoons, but without the 'O'.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:52:06 
Inked Cell

maybe it's like Pixar: they know what their next project is so they try to hide something from the next film in the current film. maybe??

there were tons of TTA stuff on A!, but then TTA was already established. P&B & the Warners had cameos on TTA but that was after the show was on the air.

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:52:35 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
maybe it's like Pixar: they know what their next project is so they try to hide something from the next film in the current film. maybe??

there were tons of TTA stuff on A!, but then TTA was already established. P&B & the Warners had cameos on TTA but that was after the show was on the air.

I know P&B had a couple cameos on TTA, since I have a screen shot of them in one of Elmyra's cages during the Spring Break Special. But when were the Warners on? I can't think of a time off the top of my head.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:52:57 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
pupspals wrote:

I know P&B had a couple cameos on TTA, since I have a screen shot of them in one of Elmyra's cages during the Spring Break Special. But when were the Warners on? I can't think of a time off the top of my head.

spring break I know for sure. they ran past the white house during the easter egg hunt.

the best P&B cameo was the halloween special when Elmyra told brain she'd play with him later - because she did on PE&B! - wait... does that mean Elmyra's psychic? I'M SCARED!!!!

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:53:33 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
Framwinkle wrote:
pupspals wrote:

spring break I know for sure. they ran past the white house during the easter egg hunt.

the best P&B cameo was the halloween special when Elmyra told brain she'd play with him later - because she did on PE&B! - wait... does that mean Elmyra's psychic? I'M SCARED!!!!

Oh yeah! I remember all those now. I'm not sure when the Halloween episode occured in relation to PE&B, but I imagine the writers might have had some idea of what what coming when they wrote that. Even without that, though, it was still funny to see Brain helpless in Elmyra's clutches.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:53:52 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
Oh yeah! I remember all those now. I'm not sure when the Halloween episode occured in relation to PE&B, but I imagine the writers might have had some idea of what what coming when they wrote that. Even without that, though, it was still funny to see Brain helpless in Elmyra's clutches.

I don't think it was supposed to occur in relation to PE&B, I think it just worked out that way... Remember at the end of P&B there were a lot of bitter episodes like "You'll never work for food pellets in this town again" that (even though it was a "dream") showed brain filming P&B & the network wanted to make it more kid friendly, boost ratings & add a robot &/or Steve Urkle to it. Funny thing... the next fall was PE&B was on the air & several major P&B people were working at Disney on One Saturday Morning or House of Mouse...

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:54:31 
Site Admin

pupspals wrote:
Framwinkle wrote:

I don't think it was supposed to occur in relation to PE&B, I think it just worked out that way... Remember at the end of P&B there were a lot of bitter episodes like "You'll never work for food pellets in this town again" that (even though it was a "dream") showed brain filming P&B & the network wanted to make it more kid friendly, boost ratings & add a robot &/or Steve Urkle to it. Funny thing... the next fall was PE&B was on the air & several major P&B people were working at Disney on One Saturday Morning or House of Mouse...

That, I know, was no cooincidence. I've heard from reliable sources that the writers heard about some of the changes coming and wrote that episode in protest just before leaving, and it still got made somehow. I have yet to see it, however.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sunday, June 21st, 2009 - 12:54:49 
Inked Cell

Framwinkle wrote:
pupspals wrote:
Framwinkle wrote:

That, I know, was no cooincidence. I've heard from reliable sources that the writers heard about some of the changes coming and wrote that episode in protest just before leaving, and it still got made somehow. I have yet to see it, however.

You need to. It's such giant "@#$% you" to the network & producers... so many inside things... I remember watching it the first time on TV thinking (not knowing what was to come) "ok.... someone was mad someone & that someone didn't stop this episode. I'M TAPING, RIGHT??? In case this gets banded, I'm taping??? Good. Yes, I am. Sure?!?!? Yes. I'm taping."

not the best episode though... Dick Clark's in it (before the stroke of course). Changes the name of Billy to Sheila or something like that. get the DVD. watch it. You'll be glad you did. You won't watch it often, but you'll be glad you did!

=================
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 - 07:58:48 
Script

My favorite part of it (besides the animation process explanation) was Bugs, Daffy and Porky's attempts to get out of having to judge Shirley's completely incoherent marathon of a film.

PostPosted: Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 - 10:23:34 
Musical Score

Favorite Character(s): check my sig banners :-3
Market42 wrote:
My favorite part of it (besides the animation process explanation) was Bugs, Daffy and Porky's attempts to get out of having to judge Shirley's completely incoherent marathon of a film.

same here :mrgreen:

I also Collect, Buy, Sell, Trade, Appraise, the Pokemon aka Pocket Monsters Trading Card Game :D
3DS Friendcode : 0731-4800-6817