Acme Acres

Welcome Toonsters, to Acme Acres! Your place for all things Tiny Toon Adventures!
It is currently Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 - 19:15:12

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fields of Honey
PostPosted: Friday, August 24th, 2012 - 21:02:06 
Musical Score

Favorite Character(s): Babs, Dot, Fifi, Gogo
I can't believe there isn't already a thread for this, but here we go, Fields of Honey, my personal favorite Tiny Toons episode. I know it was animated by Kennedy, or partially at least, because it starts looking decent even before the first commercial break. I remember reading somewhere Kennedy farmed out some stuff to other companies.

I guess a lot can be said about the significance of Bosko and Honey in the episode. It's certainly cool that they dust off those old characters and get some recognition from a new audience. This episode does make me wonder, though, why Buster and Babs can't both have Bugs as a mentor, especially since they're both based on different aspects of him. It made for a great story anyway.

One of the jokes is kind of a precursor to Animaniacs, when before the Honey cartoon starts, Plucky says, "What is she, some kind of bug?" I believe Fields of Honey also won an Emmy, for musical composition I think. Overall, a really great episode.

Post subject: Re: Fields of Honey
PostPosted: Saturday, August 25th, 2012 - 01:14:47 
Animaniac

Favorite Character(s): Plucky,Hamton,SweetieDizzy etc
From what I remember, this episode was by far one of the most frequently played when I was a kid. Many of the early TTA outings that focused on Babs were, now that I think about it. I have no idea why. :| But it's really no biggie because this is a really great entry in the series, though I do have a few minor problems with it. After catching a rare glimpse of the tiny toons gang working with their mentors, it leaves Babs feeling like she has no real hero that she can personally look up to. Well, her real gripe is that there are no girls within the core pantheon of the Looney Tunes characters.(though none of the other girl toons seem to find this a problem, in fact from what is shown, they all appear to be quite happy and content. :? ) Thanks to a disembodied voice and a spotlight, both of which may or may not be the final symptoms of Babs' ever increasing dementia, she soon embarks on a quest to uncover the fates of former WB superstars Bosko and Honey. :D This was a great chance to teach a younger generation about a story in the history of WB studio's animation that is seldom told. The fly in the ointment however is that when Babs finds the history of Bosko and Honey, it becomes immediately clear that the information in this cartoon is about as trustworthy and accurate as Fifi La Fume's wikipedia page. Somehow Bosko and Honey went from carcatures of black faced vaudvillians to.....the puppy dog eared something or others they are here. :shock: Even as a six year old I knew this wasn't what Bosko and Honey looked like.(Bosko cartoons were still being aired regularly on television at the time, but it was the tail end before political correctness groups started having them pulled from the airwaves. :evil:) The history video claims that Bosko and Honey were overshadowed by Porky Pig's fame and thus were let go from WB studios. Porky was not created until a good two or three years after Bosko's creators Rudolf Ising and Hugh Harman bolted over a money dispute and took their talk ink kid with them. Eventually ending up at MGM studios, Bosko rapidly transformed into a real black boy and his adventures started seeing him do things like butting heads with pirate bullfrogs voiced by Sachmo over cookies.

I can't make this stuff up! :mrgreen:
Another glaring inaccuracy is the characterization of Honey. In the actual Bosko shorts, although she had a few of her own character quirks at the end of the day she was simply Bosko's answer to Minnie Mouse. The Honey in this episode is depicted as having starred in her own cartoons(which never happened)and outsmarting villains with over the top zany gags.(which also never happened) There were impressions of celebrities in Bosko cartoons but if I remember correctly, they were always done by Bosko. :geek: My nitpicking aside, I just can't hate this episode. It has some wonderful little gems of animation in it, particularly when Babs is trying to convince the school board to help her build the theater for the Honey cartoons and...well...I'd be lying if I said that I don't get emotional at the end where Bosko and Honey dance off into the moonlight together. :cry: What I'm trying to say is, I love this episode even though it annoys me at the same time. ;) .............................................and Hamton without pants....and no one reacting to it.....what's up with that? :?

ImageImage

Last edited by Injun-Joe on Friday, November 09th, 2012 - 16:43:18, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Saturday, August 25th, 2012 - 01:37:46 
Animaniac

Favorite Character(s): Plucky,Hamton,SweetieDizzy etc
Actually, if you want to meet a character who really did suffer as a result of Porky Pig's fame, look no further than Beans the cat. Or as he liked to introduce himself as "Beans is the name! One of the Boston Beans!" :lol:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Saturday, August 25th, 2012 - 10:02:36 
Animaniac

Favorite Character(s): Fifi La Fume and Rita
Great episode! It was a nice tribute to the cartoons from the 30s and 40s.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Friday, April 29th, 2016 - 12:50:20 
Animaniac

I was watching a Winnie the Pooh movie, and I was reminded of this episode.

Babs: What do you know about Honey?

Hamton: Well, it's sweet, Winnie the Pooh has a problem with it...

:lol:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wednesday, September 07th, 2016 - 16:28:47 
Toon

Favorite Character(s): Babs, Plucky
This episode was one of the better early season 1 episodes Seeing Wb pay tribute to their first stars dispite being obscure showed that black and white toons are still timeless. Even the inaccuracies were justified. The whole "overshadowed by Porky" bit was done to avoid mentioning Buddy. Making Honey a zany trickster was done to make her more "progressive". If Honey actually was like that, their shorts would have been more enjoyable.

PostPosted: Monday, September 12th, 2016 - 21:16:24 
Animaniac

It was that mysterious voice in the episode that convinced me to watch Field of Dreams. :lol:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage